How do I time the cams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I time the cams?

I have looked through the manual and done searches here and really can't see how to check my timing! (And yes, my chain may have stretched but that's not the question here. My cam chain may have jumped a tooth and I want to make sure they are correct).

Having done car engines, it's usually TDC on #1 piston (far left on the bike) and then both cam marks are level with the head.

How do you check timing on a '80 650G?

Thanks for your help!

Originally posted by GSNewbie View Post
    I have looked through the manual and done searches here and really can't see how to check my timing! (And yes, my chain may have stretched but that's not the question here. My cam chain may have jumped a tooth and I want to make sure they are correct).

Having done car engines, it's usually TDC on #1 piston (far left on the bike) and then both cam marks are level with the head.

It's pretty much the same for a GS.

With #1 (and #4) at TDC, the rectangular notches on the right end of the cams should be level with the head and pointing either directly at each other or away from each other.

Sort of like this:
    (>)_______(<)

Or this:
    (<)_______(>)

Here's how to find TDC: http://bwringer.com/gs/tdc.html

If you've skipped a tooth, there's a precise procedure for setting time that varies by model, so a manual would be a good idea at that point. But verifying is easy enough.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks!
      Oh, will I need new gaskets to check it?
      They were not so fun to make...

Comment

1..Number 1 piston at TDC
        2..Take off point cover and look thru the hole in the timing plate. You should see a "T" mark lined up with the mark on the housing.
        3..Look at the EXHAUST CAM. There should be a number 1 on the sprocket. This arrow points to the FRONT of the engine and is level with the top rim of the head.
        4..On the Exhaust cam youll also see a number 2..this will be pointing straight up, while the number 1 arrow is level with the head surface.
        5..On the INTAKE cam sprocket there is a number 3 arrow which points straight up as well.
        6..Count the number of pins ( link pins in the chain ) between the one the number 2 arrow is pointing at and the one the number 3 arrow is pointing at. The pin that the number 2 and 3 arrows are pointing at counts as number 1 and 20.. (1------------------20)
        7..If there are 20 pins between the 2 arrows, then look down at the ends of the cams. Youll see two squared out notches on the ends which should be pointing directly at each other. If all this checks out then youve just confirmed cam timing. Never rotate the engine backwards or with the cam chain tensioner removed.
        8..if theres more or less pins between the 2 and 3 arrows, then you index the intake cam it the way it needs to go in order to establish the 20 pins between arrows 2 and 3.

Always turn the engine forward ( clockwise from the ignition bolt ) and NEVER turn the engine without the cam chain tensioner in place.
        Last edited by chuck hahn; 01-06-2012, 10:09 PM.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You may need a new valve cover gasket.

The gasket, if you find one, in the timing cover doesn't actually do anything, so you can leave it out if you don't have another.

Most of us can use the same valve cover gasket for several years -- just coat it with a thin film of grease before installing the first time.

If your valve cover gasket is 30 years old or so, you'll need a new one. Buy an OEM Suzuki gasket -- the aftermarket ones are crap.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            1..Number 1 piston at TDC
            2..Take off point cover and look thru the hole in the timing plate. You should see a "T" mark lined up with the mark on the housing.
            3..Look at the EXHAUST CAM. There should be a number 1 on the sprocket. This arrow points to the FRONT of the engine and is level with the top rim of the head.
            4..On the Exhaust cam youll also see a number 2..this will be pointing straight up, while the number 1 arrow is level with the head surface.
            5..On the INTAKE cam sprocket there is a number 3 arrow which points straight up as well.
            6..Count the number of pins ( link pins in the chain ) between the one the number 1 arrow is pointing at and the one the number 2 arrow is pointing at.
            7..If there are 20 pins between the 2 arrows, then look down at the ends of the cams. Youll see two squared out notches on the ends which should be pointing directly at each other. If all this checks out then youve just confirmed cam timing. Never rotate the engine backwards or with the cam chain tensioner removed.
            8..if theres more or less pins between the 2 and 3 arrows, then you index the intake cam it the way it needs to go in order to establish the 20 pins between arrows 2 and 3.
            Chuck, are you sure it's twenty pins on a 650G?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Chuck, are you sure it's twenty pins on a 650G?
              Tom. it's 20 pins on the "G" and 19 pins on the "E". If you are doing the 650 top end conversion on a 550 bottom end then you go with the 19 pin arrangement.

Comment

Yeah...I went to Basscliffs Website and read the service manual...which also may be a good idea form this gentleman. Has the entire process in section 3.
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  7..If there are 20 pins between the 2 arrows, ...
                  Just something for the new guys to keep in mind, ...

Make sure you count the pin over the #2 mark on the exhaust cam as #1.
                  A common mistake is to start there and count the next pin as #1. Not good.
                  The pin directly over the #2 mark is the #1 pin.
                  Likewise, the pin that is over the #3 mark on the intake cam is the one that should be #20.

Technically, that makes 18 pins between the marks, just didn't want anyone to mis-understand.
                  The correct count is 20 pins, INCLUDING THE PINS OVER THE MARKS.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Just something for the new guys to keep in mind, ...

Make sure you count the pin over the #2 mark on the exhaust cam as #1.
                    A common mistake is to start there and count the next pin as #1. Not good.
                    The pin directly over the #2 mark is the #1 pin.
                    Likewise, the pin that is over the #3 mark on the intake cam is the one that should be #20.

Technically, that makes 18 pins between the marks, just didn't want anyone to mis-understand.
                    The correct count is 20 pins, INCLUDING THE PINS OVER THE MARKS.

Thanks for clearing that up
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I went back and edited it to more clearly reflect that the ones that the 1 and 3 arrows point at count as number 1 and 20..hope its more clear now.

Comment

That's OK, Chuck, it was probably quite clear before the editing, just trying to prevent someone else getting hung up on a simple procedure that had me stumped the first few times.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ive only done it once on the skunk #2 project bike. And thus my reason for adding to NEVER turn the engine over without the cam chain tensioner in place.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I'm working in the garage today and it's next on the list after listing my 48 Ford F1 for sale on the classifieds... Too many projects and not enough money for 'em all!

Comment

Ok, so I got some time and motivation and went through the cam timing. They checked out just fine with the 20 pin count and all. Pretty simple check other than I didn't look up the torque specs on the valve cover bolts.

And then compression check... I guess I put off the compression check because I was afraid that may have been the issue. It is near 90lbs on 3 cylinders and 130 on #2. I'm not sure it's worth it at this point.

Parts I should replace or fix for this job:
                              Valve cover gasket.
                              Head gasket
                              Cylinder gasket
                              oil bypass gasket
                              cam chain
                              cam chain sliders (ouch $)
                              Rings
                              hone job
                              valve seals
                              regrind valves?
                              and who knows how much more...
                              Then it still pops out of 2nd under load and I need a speedo (to replace the one the needle broke off of).

On a 3rd world rebuild: cylinder gasket/head gasket
                              rings/hone
                              valve seals...
                              Where's the cheapest place to get parts?

Comment

Working...
                              X