clutch basket slop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch basket slop

Hey all, re-did my clutch basket with the 'tig'd' pins and shimmed springs this morning. Just thought I'd check with you all before putting the cover on to see if this little video of movement or play of the basket on the shaft is normal or I have another issue.
    See pic;

See this link for the video as it's too big to load here;

may be wrong but looks like the basket and the ring gear wasn't clamped together tight enough before it was welded
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
      may be wrong but looks like the basket and the ring gear wasn't clamped together tight enough before it was welded
      Way too much slop for it to be that judging by the video. Looks to me as if you haven't got everything reassembled properly. Definitely need to pull it apart and compare to the manual.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

It looks like the gear and basket are moving as one ok, is all the needle roller assembly alright?
        It does look like a lot movement
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

You need to REDUCE the shim between the inner hub & the spacer behind it. That is what controls the play you are seeing. I have different shims for this as it is something I have to do with the 1100/1150 engines when I set them up for drag racing. Ray.

Comment

Thanks guys,
            Bearings looked fine actually.

Rapidray- are you refering to the shim (flat washer) just behind the sleeve hub? Or, the spacer that the bearing sits around?

Appreciate the feedback everyone.

Comment

Turns out the roller bearing that sits inside of the big ring gear and outer basket had some play in it. The solid metal spacer inside of the bearing was tight with no movement on the transmission counter shaft, so that is being ordered today.
              Thanks for the feedback all.

Comment

new bearings in and that was the difference. Zero play, tight as new I suspect.
                Thanks to Rapidray for phone advice before assembly.
                Going to fire it up this coming sunday and see it the rattles are gone-

Comment

Working...
                X