Cam guide compatibility.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam guide compatibility.

I've got an 81' gs550. Im on the hunt for used cam chain guides and an having trouble locating the exact parts. Since the OEM replacements are ungodly priced I've been looking through ebay for quite some time now to no avail. I am however finding what I need for the same year but different motor size ie: gs650, 750 etc. does anyone know off hand how close these parts are to the ones I need? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-07-2012, 10:07 PM.

What is wrong with the cam chain guides that are on the bike now?

These parts do not usually wear out as they are bathed in oil all the time.

And which guide are you after?

You need to strip the top end to replace the rear guide.

These guides were used on the 550 models from '77 to '82 and the '81 and '82 GS650E models, the "G" models use a different cam chain guide.

Be aware that even "new" cam chain guides have the grooves in them for the chain to run on. So don't assume the guides are worn out just because there are grooves in the guides.

Comment

Try this Ebay Item Number 200593597325

Comment

They are weathered/cracked. Im not sure how they would get this way but with some of the other "strange" things that were done to this bike before i got it the possibility's are near endless.

i do need both the long straight piece like the one on ebay via your post and the curved piece. i found an auction that has both, if you have a free moment to take a glance at auction 400244215279 i would greatly appreciate an experienced set of eyes looking it over. many thanks!

-cotter

Comment

Cotter - those parts are off an "L" model and is a shaft drive bike which has a "G" engine and different parts than what you want. Part # are different between "G" and "E" models on the 650 as stated earlier.

Comment

Aright good to know. I'll have to keep on the prowl it seems. Thanks for your help you have saved me quite the headache.

Comment

Working...
            X