Oil pan removal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pan removal question

I searched and the threads I read didn't address this basic issue, and the shop manual is not clear. On my GS1000G, can I remove the oil pan w/o removing the engine?

Thanks

Yes. Be prepared to replace the gasket.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

OK thanks. I'm going to order some more OE parts soon and will add that to the list.

While I'm thinking about it, are the pans the same for all of the 8V 1000cc engines? Will a pan from a 78-79 chain drive 1000 fit my '81? The parts are all discontinued, and there is a 1 number difference in the parts fiche (45000 for the earlier ones, 45100 for my '81). They look identical.

EDIT- disregard. I see the 45100 superseded the 45000.

Comment

Don't forget to clean out the gauze screen when you're in there and use Loctite on the screws when you put it back.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

I can get a new OEM gasket, plug, seal for the plug, and that screen for $18 + shipping. What a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000G Shopper View Post
            I can get a new OEM gasket, plug, seal for the plug, and that screen for $18 + shipping. What a deal.
            Did you find out if it's the same gasket for all the different 1000s?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Fit's all years, 750, 850, 1000, 1100 8 valve engines.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

I went to change the pan today, and got an unpleasant surprise. The new old stock pan I bought was slightly different- one bolt hole/surface was missing on the front corner. You could not drill another hole & use it since there is no sealing surface there. The pan I bought had part number 11511-45000 on the tag with it. I've attached a picture of the part with a red circle showing where the missing hole/boss is. This will likely fit an earlier GS1000/750. I'll list it for sale here soon.

Fortunately I was able to refinish my old pan once it was off the bike. I drilled it and put another insert in it and checked alignment- looks straight this time. So far, no drips!

BTW, fairly easy job. Pull the left & right outer pipes, loosen the right side inner one, remove the left side collar & pipe and swing the center pipe up & out of the way- full access to the pan.
                Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2012, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  The OEM gasket I bought had both holes in it on the front corner I mentioned in the last post, so it would work with either pan.

Comment

I guess it is still not a happy camper. I noticed a small drip under the drain plug again tonight (and the plug was wet). I even used some thread sealer on the plug when I put it in. I think I'll try a smaller diameter crush washer, the parts house one was pretty big & not very soft for aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000G Shopper View Post
                      I guess it is still not a happy camper. I noticed a small drip under the drain plug again tonight (and the plug was wet). I even used some thread sealer on the plug when I put it in. I think I'll try a smaller diameter crush washer, the parts house one was pretty big & not very soft for aluminum.
                      You really need the factory crush washer for that bolt, a close estimate will never seal correctly.

Comment

I used a rubber/teflon type of reusable gasket on my Skunk back in the day and it worked out well. I would go with them on both my bikes now if I could find them without having to buy the drain bolt also.

sigpic
                        Steve
                        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

How about this page, anything there?http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Oil...l_p/a18849.htm
                          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                          1983 GS 1100 G
                          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Shop for oil drain plugs suited for a variety of makes and models. Easy to install and remove, with a tight seal that will conserve oil and prevent oil leaks.
                            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                            1983 GS 1100 G
                            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Thanks. There's a good selection here also:
                              Sherco Auto and Marine Supply has been a dependable vendor of USA Made Automotive Parts & Accessories, Electrical Wiring Supplies, Tire Supplies, Oil Drain Plugs & Gaskets, Automotive Wire Connectors, Tinned Copper Lugs, Parts and Shop Supplies for over 30 years.

The 14mm x 1.25 is an oddball size. The 14mm x 1.50 is more popular. I may use one of those metal.rubber seals.

Comment

Working...
                              X