Clutch shaft oil leak... Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch shaft oil leak... Now what?

I mentioned earlier that I have an oil leak for the clutch shaft gasket on my 1980 gs850. Opened it up today and I can't see how I could replace the gasket from the inside. Do I just, somehow pull the gasket out from the outside and the put the new one over the shaft? To my eye, there is no way to remove the shaft from the inside and then replace the gasket. I have a clymer, but I don't see this procedure covered in it. I'm in the middle of it and the garage is all heated up. I have the gasket, I just need some advice. Thanks.

Scudder

I got it. There is no way that I could see to remove, or help remove the gasket from inside the cover. I had to work it out a little at a time from the outside. All's well now.

Scudder

Comment

Glad you got it..I was gonna tell you that a small pick and work it around the edges usually will pull them out. Then a socket or piece of PVC to seat them back in works well.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I need to do mine, starting to get a few drops of oil on the garage floor from it.

Comment

Wasn't too tough. I was just paranoid about putting too much pressure on the gasket, while slowly picking at it with a very small flat head screw driver, and damaging the cover. I ended up having to heat it up to eventually wiggle the gasket out.

For some reason, I thought I could access the gasket from inside the cover. Turns out that can't be done. Oh well, used it as the opportunity to change the oil and replace the original bolts with hex head bolts.

Scudder

Comment

Working...
          X