Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

80 GS1100ET: Modify Clutch Hub to Use Extra Fiber???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 GS1100ET: Modify Clutch Hub to Use Extra Fiber???

Hi!

It has been posted a few times on OSS, on Dragbike, etc that some people have run their bikes without the wave washer/piano wire setup at the bottom of the clutch inner hub.

As Gribley mentioned on OSS:

Its an extra fibre plate. Once the area shaded pink is machined away, the wave washer, seat and wire clip are discarded.
    The extra fibre plate fits in place of the wave washer and seat, between the existing back steel plate and the newly machined face of the hub.

Has anybody here tried this mod? What are the advantages and/or the disadvantages of doing this?

Would this be desirable or non-desirable on a street bike ... and why?

Thanks!
    2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
    1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
    2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
    s)

I dont know why you would do this unless you were making mondo power, and even then why not use a lockup clutch?
    I am running new steels and stock fibers in mine with a mix of ebc and barnett springs and it doesnt slip at all. I dont expect any problems with the engine upgrades either, if there is some slip, I have another 3 barnett springs for it.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
      I dont know why you would do this unless you were making mondo power, and even then why not use a lockup clutch?
      I am running new steels and stock fibers in mine with a mix of ebc and barnett springs and it doesnt slip at all. I dont expect any problems with the engine upgrades either, if there is some slip, I have another 3 barnett springs for it.
      My clutch is not slipping, etc.

I have asked this question because I have seen it mentioned more than once on Dragbike.com and also on OSS.
      I'm hoping that someone who knows about this mod will give us some insight.

Note: Why purchase and use a lock up clutch when the only thing required would be to add the mentioned extra fiber plate (...if this is a good mod)?

Thanks!
      s)

Comment

Maybe I'm confused but doesn't Barnett or someone sell an "extra plate" kit already? And didn't the 83 1100 use a different basket with an extra plate? And don't those extra, thinner plates ruin the baskets by gouging them up?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          Maybe I'm confused but doesn't Barnett or someone sell an "extra plate" kit already? And didn't the 83 1100 use a different basket with an extra plate? And don't those extra, thinner plates ruin the baskets by gouging them up?
          It's not the thin ones.
          The inner hub is machined in order to let you use a 10th fiber plate (the same thickness as the others in the clutch). You therefore end up with the original 9 "thick" metal plates, and 10 "thick" fiber plates.
          s)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            From what I've read about the '83 GS1100E clutches, it wasn't as much as the plates were thinner, it was because they were steel backed fiber plates where as the earlier and later clutches had aluminum backed fiber plates.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

ape makes this kit with "extra" plate. Doesn't say anything about needing to modify the basket

Comment

Originally posted by matt1100 View Post
                http://gszone.biz/clutches.html

ape makes this kit with "extra" plate. Doesn't say anything about needing to modify the basket
                That's not what I'm referring to. This is a mod to the OEM inner hub that has been machined to allow using an extra fiber plate.
                Thanks!
                s)

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                  From what I've read about the '83 GS1100E clutches, it wasn't as much as the plates were thinner, it was because they were steel backed fiber plates where as the earlier and later clutches had aluminum backed fiber plates.
                  I'm under the impression that on the 83 they are also thinner ... because of the extra plate.
                  Thanks!
                  s)

Comment

Working...
                  X