Driveshaft and Chain Question - hehe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveshaft and Chain Question - hehe

I will be replacing the chain on the GPz this winter. I don't like the way it looks and I am pretty picky, well, extremely picky about chain and sprocket maintenance. IDK how many miles it has on it, the bike only has 15k but the chain has a master link which suggests that it has been off, if not replaced.
    I expect to get around 30k out of the new chain. What kind of life do you shaft guys get on the splines? I know there is a certain year range where the metal was too soft, but on average? Perhaps for each type? Inquiring minds want to know.

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
    I will be replacing the chain on the GPz this winter. I don't like the way it looks and I am pretty picky, well, extremely picky about chain and sprocket maintenance. IDK how many miles it has on it, the bike only has 15k but the chain has a master link which suggests that it has been off, if not replaced.
    I expect to get around 30k out of the new chain. What kind of life do you shaft guys get on the splines? I know there is a certain year range where the metal was too soft, but on average? Perhaps for each type? Inquiring minds want to know.
    I have never changed a spline, nor had one wear, on any shaft drive motorcycle or car, including about 5 Suzukis.
    A little lube goes a long way. And so does avoiding the soft spline (1982 I think) year models.
    Last edited by tkent02; 01-20-2012, 11:50 PM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My 650 has just about 25000 miles on it and she runs very nice. Im an old Brit rider but this little GS has made me a shaftdrive fan. Now there isnt going to be any drag racing due to the power lost to being a shafty but... Maintenance is simple, you change your oil, youve just changed your drive oil. I remove 2 drain plugs, change one filter and refill. Im pretty sure Im sticking to the shafties from here on out.

Comment

Mid 81 and on had the soft spline. But other than that, a bazzilion? The GK I used to have had 130K when I sold it. Spline had been swapped at some point for a black one but other than that it never got changed. Don't need to. If lubed it doesn't wear like a chain and chainring does. By the way 30K is a A LoT of miles on a chain even if lubed. 20K is feasible but I'd be pretty leery of a chain and sprockets with 30 thou on em.

Comment

I cannot agree, TCK. The chain on my GS was on it when I purchased it with a little over 22k on the clock. It has a master link so it has been replaced. The bike now has almost 38k on the clock. I have adjusted the chain twice. There is no play in the side plates on the chain. The rear sprocket (the weak one) is just now starting to show the faintest sign of wear. The front was replaced last year so it is not an issue. So it should be good for another 15k or so, judging on its current condition. Which reminds me, I should replace that rear sprocket, I have a spare anyway.

Comment

BOTH the front and rear sprocket should be replaced when installing a new chain. My 850 has 50K on original spline

Comment

I cannot agree, TCK. The chain on my GS was on it when I purchased it with a little over 22k on the clock. It has a master link so it has been replaced. The bike now has almost 38k on the clock. I have adjusted the chain twice. There is no play in the side plates on the chain. The rear sprocket (the weak one) is just now starting to show the faintest sign of wear. The front was replaced last year so it is not an issue. So it should be good for another 15k or so, judging on its current condition. Which reminds me, I should replace that rear sprocket, I have a spare anyway.
              So it's got 16K on it that you know of. Likely was replaced fairly close to when it was sold. My chain on my ZRX has about 18K on it....no appreciable signs of wear, but the frequency of which I have to lube it to keep it "quiet" has increased to once ever 400 miles vs 600 or so. The sprockets look good as well, but it's what you CAN'T see that I'd be worried about. But, your bike, your philosophy. i always carry a spare master or two with me any way.

And yes, both sprockets should be replaced at the same time. Using a worn sprocket or chain on a new sprocket or chain will make the other wear more quickly.

By the way, I need to find out who manufactures the chain and master on my bike. The master is the neatest and easiest to install I've ever seen. It's a screw together type.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
                My 650 has just about 25000 miles on it and she runs very nice. Im an old Brit rider but this little GS has made me a shaftdrive fan. Now there isnt going to be any drag racing due to the power lost to being a shafty but... Maintenance is simple, you change your oil, youve just changed your drive oil. I remove 2 drain plugs, change one filter and refill. Im pretty sure Im sticking to the shafties from here on out.
                The bigger shaft bikes had separate secondary and rear oil from the engine oil. Lil more to do but not much worse.

Comment

What kind of life do you shaft guys get on the splines?
                  We have had my wife's bike for about 25,000 miles. Got it with just over 40k, now has about 66k. Not sure if the splines have been changed, but I have a spare, just in case.

The only other '82 (the year with the soft splines) is the 650L. Splines are just fine, but the driveshaft got twisted in two.

The other two, "80 and '81 850s and an '80 1000, are probably still on original splines.
                  '80 850 (mine) has 21,000 miles
                  '81 850 (son's) has 41,000 miles
                  '80 1000 (son's) has 41,000 miles

The splines in the Wing are just fine, too. 177,038 showing on that odometer.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't believe the 650s ever had the soft spline issues, did they?
                    I have never heard of them wearing out.

Comment

And I gotta tell ya, this little 650 has a load of power. I wouldnt go so far as to believe its a 2 up touring bike. Unless the 2 are tiny.

Comment

My FJ chain would start showning signs of wear after about 15K, the chain would need adjusting and lubing more frequently and I agree, replace both sprokets when relacing chain. I had one of the soft final drive's on my "G" and had to relace it, hoefully won't be doing that again.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
                          And I gotta tell ya, this little 650 has a load of power. I wouldnt go so far as to believe its a 2 up touring bike. Unless the 2 are tiny.
                          5'2"?
                          I'd tour on a 650.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            5'2"?
                            I'd tour on a 650.
                            haha. Yeah Im a little bit bigger. Im 6-4 and about 265. with a set of Daytonas, Im in a good position for long rides.

Comment

Oops! Wrong thread!
                              The 5'2" guy was on another one.

Comment

Working...
                              X