help dirve shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help dirve shaft

Hi people i have a gs850 1979.this is my first shaft drive bike n ther is a grinding like noise cuming from the shaft near the back weel hub on the shaft. Real noise. Help. Thanks for ur time al so happens more at lowe speeds
    Last edited by Guest; 01-25-2012, 03:36 PM.

Final drive failure is rare but not impossible. It could just be the rear wheel bearings. How long has it been making this noise?
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Take the rear wheel off and take a look.

Post pics. The GSR Hive Mind needs data.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
        Final drive failure is rare but not impossible. It could just be the rear wheel bearings. How long has it been making this noise?
        Too long probably, especially if this a new to him bike. Might get lucky and just need some 90 weight but "grinding" doesn't sound pleasant.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X