81 GS650Gl Cam Tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS650Gl Cam Tensioner

Anyone out there know of where I can buy one of these used or if there is a way to just replace part of it My bike got overheated last summer and the lock does't seem to hold anymore Still running great I Used a small clamp to hold it in the right place anyone out there with info Thanks a Million I need to get her ready to ride in the summer months got a nice 4 day trip planned in late spring

What "lock" are you referring to? The spring itself that keeps the plunger pushed up against cam chain? Or the little lock screw that keeps the plunger from moving??

Do you have an OEM tensioner, or an aftermarket?
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by Penske View Post
      Anyone out there know of where I can buy one of these used or if there is a way to just replace part of it My bike got overheated last summer and the lock does't seem to hold anymore Still running great I Used a small clamp to hold it in the right place anyone out there with info Thanks a Million I need to get her ready to ride in the summer months got a nice 4 day trip planned in late spring
      I hope you understand how the tensioner is SUPPOSED to work- please review! But if you do need a spare, they show up on ebay regularly- typically $10- many models share same tensioner over many years.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Welcome to the site. The guys are right that more information would be helpful in telling us what you mean by the lock. The setscrew is turned to allow it to set within the groove on the pushrod to ensure the pushrod stays in the correct position and then locked down by a nut. There's also another nut on the large knob designed to ensure you have the right tension. I don't see how the engine overheating will cause problems with either of those.

So, how about posting up a picture with some better explanation to see what's going on. Also, Basscliff will be along later with his official welcome package that can help you get through any maintenance needed to keep your bike running.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The plastic knob on mine partially melted and cracked. I repaired in with a high strength high temp epoxy...if that's similar to your situation, dunno?

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
            What "lock" are you referring to? The spring itself that keeps the plunger pushed up against cam chain? Or the little lock screw that keeps the plunger from moving??

Do you have an OEM tensioner, or an aftermarket?
            It would be the OEM and the spring is sprung pretty much will get a picture of this and post not sure if the overheat had anything to do with it but it seemed to start making noise right after that I looked around and found the spring to be loose might just need to tighten that screw Have never really messed around with smaller engines before so this is all new to me

Comment

If the nut on the end of it came off you could have killed things. Pictures will definitely help though.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Head to Basscliff's site and follow the link to "engine odds and ends", then find cam tensioner stuff courtesy of bwringer.
                The big spring/knob is designed to keep pressure on a sliding shaft (the plunger that pushes on chain), so as to let it take up slack,but NOT allow pushing back. The hex nut and lock screw on opposite side is there to facilitate removal and installation of the tensioner into the engine. The lock screw is backed off the plunger shaft (lets it slide) and the hex nut locks the screw from interfering with plunger action. All this is easy to see, if you are holding one in your hand, but hard to visualize.
                If yours has malfunctioned, you might have to remove it and "reset" it- unfortunately this is a pain on a 650 shafty . If not checked/corrected, the cam chain could jump, leading to some serious fun and expense.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Penske,

I'm sure you would have little trouble finding a used tensioner on eBay. Also check in the Parts Wanted and Parts for Sale sections of the GSR forum. I know APE makes an aftermarket manual cam chain tensioner but I'm not sure if it fits the GS650. For reference materials click HERE and HERE.

Now let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Okay got looking at it today still havent got a picture yet wife has hidden the cam or something But everything is there The spring is loose and the knob that use to turn things is over the nut on the end is this normal bidding on one today e-bay wish me luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Penske View Post
                      Okay got looking at it today still havent got a picture yet wife has hidden the cam or something But everything is there The spring is loose and the knob that use to turn things is over the nut on the end is this normal bidding on one today e-bay wish me luck!
                      Neither blaming the wife nor your cam chain tensioner sounds normal. In any event, you will want to check your cam timing before spring beckons.
                      1981 gs650L

Comment

You could try checking the For Sale section here first.

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                        X