Wrong Starter Clutch Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong Starter Clutch Kit

Bought a new starter clutch kit for my GS1000G. Tried to install it today, and it seems to be the wrong one. The bolt holes for the clutch don't match those on the rotor. The new gear has a smaller ID than the existing one. The existing bearing won't fit in it. There is only one bearing in the gear. The parts fisch says there should be two bearings (for both the 1000G and 1100G). I'm wondering if this may be an 1100G motor, but I really don't know how to tell. Is the crank diameter different on them? The spacer between the rotor and the starter clutch body looks like that on the 1100 parts fisch, not round like the one on the 1000G parts fisch.

I would like to figure out what I have before spending more money.

Any ideas?
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Mystery solved. The old nail has an 1100 engine in it. I've owned it 8 years or more and never knew.

It doesn't feel particularly more powerful than a 1000G to me, but then I've never han any of my three in the same state at the same time.

Any idea how to tell the year from the engine number?
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
      Mystery solved. The old nail has an 1100 engine in it. I've owned it 8 years or more and never knew.

It doesn't feel particularly more powerful than a 1000G to me, but then I've never han any of my three in the same state at the same time.

Any idea how to tell the year from the engine number?
      All the 1100G engine numbers start with U701-. My '83 parts bike was first registered in NZ in May '83. It has the "D shaped" exhaust ports and it's serial number is U701-113443. The '82 engines still had the round shaped exhaust ports. The D shape is apparent when looking closely around the valve guide area. Hope this helps you to identify yours.
      :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
      GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
      GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
      GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
      http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Working...
      X