Flushing cylinder heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flushing cylinder heads

GS750 1977 -Is there a way of flushing the cylinders without dismantling the engine? Can any cleaner or fuel be put straight into the spark plug holes.

What are you trying to do? I would assume if you drained the oil or better yet took the oil pan off and left the spark plugs out, you could pour some gas into the cylinders then slowly turn the engine over by hand. Not exactly sure if thats what you were looking for but I knew what you were trying to accomplish I could have a better suggestion. I would also caution you though as this will remove all of the lubricant (oil) from the places that might need it, and if it gets sucked up into the head you will have to find a way to re-lubricate the valve train.

Comment

It appears there was some diesel in the petrol refill can i used and although some say it can act as a lubricant its killed any spark in the engine, ive cleaned the spark plugs

Comment

Spray some carb cleaner into each cylinder and allow it to soak for a couple of hours, leaving the plugs out and the holes covered to keep dirt out.
        After allowing time to soak, spray a short blast into each cylinder again and install the plugs.
        Pure an entire can of Berryman's B-12 carb cleaner into the fuel tank also.
        Run the bike.
        It should clean up the majority of the combustion chamber and piston crown as well as can be done without disassembling the engine.
        Also, don't forget to change the oil with a high quality diesel oil.
        It will also help to clean the engine internally.

Daniel

Comment

Just put a drop of petrol in there and spin over without the plugs in. Then leave to dry for a shortwhile. You'll have to clean the carbs through as well.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

You could try introducing a bit of SeaFoam into the vac ports when the engine is warm and running. You'll need to hold the throttle open a bit to keep it from bogging down, but it'll clean out the combustion chambers right quick. Be sure the exhaust is well ventilated.

Comment

Drain the tank and flush with a bit of fresh gas. Pour some gas in each cylinder thru the plug holes ( one at a time ) and crank her over a few times..hold a rag over the hole as you crank. Flush one cylinder then move on to the next. As for the plugs..Grab them with some pliers and heat the crap out of them with a propane torch till th fuel is all burned off..youll know when they are dry. Put it all back together and youll be fine. May smoke a bit till the rest of the diesel is burned out of the system but it will clear up in due time. Just pretend your on a 2 stroke for a day..LOL.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I strongly suggest you dismiss idea of flushing the cylinders. Some diesel fuel won't hurt the engine mechanicals in the least.

Replace the spark plugs and clean the carbs. The engine proper will be fine so please don't risk dumping stuff down the cylinders.
                Last edited by Nessism; 01-26-2012, 08:51 PM.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Shouldnt even have to do much to the carbs but open the drains and let a bit of fresh gas run thru each one. Fire that bad boy up and youll be ok.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

thanks all the plugs were pretty fouled

Comment

Working...
                    X