Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haynes or Clymer

Which is recommended?

Neither. Get the factory service manual from Suzuki. Free download here...http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

For what bike, what model? If you haven't been there already, you
      can find alot on BassCliff's web-site you can use or download, perhaps even allowing you to save your dough.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by Blastr2783 View Post
        Haynes or Clymer
        Which is recommended?
        Given the choice of only those two, I would choose Clymer.

However, as Nessism pointed out, manuals for many of our bikes are available at Mr. BassCliff's site.
        Most are factory manuals, but some are of the 'lesser' manuals.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Get all three, read all three. It's worth it.

The factory manual is the "bible" and the Clymer is better than the Haynes but I find all three useful.
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post

The factory manual is the "bible" and the Clymer is better than the Haynes but I find all three useful.
            Yeah, I forgot to mention that little tidbit.

I happen to have all three for my 850s. Each has its strong points, but the factory has the best information.
            Clymer has better pictures, and is a smaller book, easier to carry out to the garage.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I agree with the service manual recommendation as well as the Clymers. I use the service manual I downloaded from Basscliff but it's not searchable so it takes a bit. For some small things like torque values, I'll use the Clymers since I can find it faster (and some stuff isn't in the service manual).
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I purchased a genuine Suzuki factory service manual from eBay for about $20. The scanned ones on BassCliff's site are O.K., but they tend to have lower resolution and sometimes the page numbers don't come out at all. I also picked up a factory service manual for the Kaw for about the same price. Ii have a Haynes or Clymer for the GS, but it never leaves the shelf.

Comment

Thanks for all the input

Comment

OK, found the Factory Service Manual.

But what are these?
                    - Suzuki Workshop Manual (http://stores.ebay.com/e-ClassicBike...&_sid=28787106)
                    - Suzuki Supplemental Service Manual
                    - SET-UP MANUAL

Are they different/useful?

I guess the Owner's Manual doesn't provide anything over and above the Service Manual, right?

And then there's the TECHNICAL BULLETIN MANUAL. Is that a description of what's new in the latest model?

Comment

Clymer has colored wiring diagram.I have all three.

1978 GS1000C
                      1979 GS1000E
                      1980 GS1000E
                      2004 Roadstar

Comment

that is a reproduced service manual. its essentially the same as the original one, but its been reproduced and its in "new" condition. plus the description says there is additions to the original manual. it may be worth it if you dont feel like scrolling through 300 pages of PDF on BikeCliff's sight.

Comment

All three....sometimes one will have a slight difference in presenting the material than suddenly makes the light go one for me.

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post

I agree with this. The factory manual is best, but it is slanted a bit toward a trained professional technician, who has all the special tools a bit. Haynes and Clymer sometimes use alternate tools. In General, I like Haynes, but Clymer seems pretty good on the large "G's". I did find some torque specs quoted which match the GS850 manual but do not match the GS1100G manual in there. So I added them together and used that.

I like to study more than one source before starting a job. It seems to help. But I can screw it up even if I already know how to do it correctly.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                            X