individual air filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

individual air filters

If I remove the airbox from my 850, is there anyway to make it run smoothly and with a semblence of factory power and reliability?

Sure, tune it properly.
    It's a lot of work, especially if you don't know what is involved.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi,

If you get good pod filters (K&N or APE) and a Dynojet Stage 3 kit much of the pain will be taken out of the process. Use plug chops to fine tune each carb circuit. On an 850 there is little gain for all the money and effort but some people do it just for the looks or for the convenience of being able to get the carbs out easier.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

What year 850? Are you running through stock exhaust pipes?
        Send a PM for jetting recommendations.

Daniel

Comment

The look is what I like, but not enough to sacrifice a smooth ride. Thanks for the info. Just ordered a clymer and downloaded your service manual. Decided to tear it down to the block and replace all the seals, o-rings, and gaskets. I am hoping to have it done for thunder beach in may. got a good source for a rebuild kit? Or is it one peice at a time kinda deal?

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
            What year 850? Are you running through stock exhaust pipes?
            Send a PM for jetting recommendations.

Daniel
            Stock exhaust, stock carbs. got to tear them down and rebuild do to the previous owner(a pawn shop) leaving mixed gas in the tank and carbs for over five months. after a couple of days of disassembly found out it has a gas tank off a another model and I dont think the petcock will feed enough fuel.

Comment

We kinda need to know what year the bike is?
              The 79's had different carbs than the other years.
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
              .................________-|___\____
              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Just to get you prepared to pay for your "look".

K&N filters for the CV carbs on '80 and newer 850s are $175.

Dynojet kits (scroll down about 3/4 for the 850) are $125.

You really interested in paying close to $300 for a "look"?
                Especially with all the work that will be involved?

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                ... some people do it just for the looks or for the convenience of being able to get the carbs out easier.
                In my experience, I have found only two reasons for removing the carbs.
                1. When you get the bike, you need to remove them to clean them and install new o-rings.
                1a. For those who think they can shortcut the directions, they will remove them again to do the job right.
                2. They get frustrated with the (minimal) hassle of playing with the airbox and decide to switch to pods, requiring rejetting.
                2a. Another rejet.
                2b. Another rejet.
                2c. Yet another rejet.
                2d. Almost running right.
                2e. OK, I think I have it.
                2f. Ooops.
                2g.
                2h.
                etc.

Really, it started out as two reasons.

Once your carbs are PROPERLY cleaned and treated to new o-rings, AND if you keep fresh gas (or treated gas, if you have to winterize) in the carbs, there is no need for regular removal. Last spring, I took the carbs off my wife's bike for the first time in six years, but only because I was removing the head. Yeah, while they were off, I dipped them and re-ringed them, so I know they will be good for several more years.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

81 gs850

THe year and model.

Comment

Blastr, throw that in your signature (User CP, Edit Signature) and you won't have to worry about including it again later. Also, throw your location in your profile and if some of us are close, we could help lend a hand.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

IMHO, the only reason to put just pods is the ease of removal of the carbs. Much much easier. Any change to the intake or exhaust system requires a rejet, which is painful using the plug chop method. If you have access to a wideband (sniffer) it becomes much easier. It took me about 10-12 hours (computer analysis time included) and one set of plugs to tune my highly modified GPz using my sniffer, but most don't have one laying around like I do.
                      The 850, while a rock-solid bike once dialed in, is a tank, outweighing even larger displacement shafties. Any incremental increase in power (the real reason pods and a pipe should be added) will still be negated by the larger and lighter shafties.
                      I would recommend staying completely stock and sorting the bike out and dialing it in. I have ridden one that was perfectly dialed in and it was fantastic.

Comment

I've been thinking about going to pods for an entirely different reason-my airbox boots are all melted and deformed (look like they caught on fire at some point...I have no idea haha) and pods cost about the same. Then again, I don't have to deal with CV carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                          I have ridden one that was perfectly dialed in and it was fantastic.
                          Aw shucks, thanks...

Easier carb removal/replacement is not a valid reason to go to pods on a shaftie -- they're very easy to remove, even with the airbox in place. The airbox doesn't add any time and little effort to the process.

On other models, it's true that the airbox turns carb removal into a nightmare struggle. But it's easy as pie on the 850+ shafties.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Suzuki spent a lot of time and money to get the airbox right on your bike, it runs best with it on and there are also practical reasons for an airbox.

The airbox keeps rain off the filter.

The airbox provides a large reservoir of stable air for the engine to draw from that is unaffected by turbulence created moving down the road.

The airbox has small velocity stacks which keep pulses from adjacent carbs away from the throat openings of other carbs. This also straightens the airflow around the airjets and provides better metering.

The airbox keeps hot air from the engine away from the carb intakes, especially when idling in traffic.

The airbox provides a capacitive quantity of air which resonates at key frequencies. This resonance actually boosts the air intake a little and provides more power.

The airbox reduces intake noise greatly. I know that means nothing to motorcycle riders but it's part of what it does.

Pods do make it easier to rejet over and over again, which isn't necessary if you have an airbox in the first place. If for some reason you remove the carbs monthly then I guess pods are a good choice. And with pods you will be taking the carb rack off a few times.

Stick with the airbox. Get a new filter and seal any leaks it might have.
                            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              Aw shucks, thanks...
                              I did not want to mention your name without your permission, but yes, your 850 is awesome. It reminded me of a finely tuned or even new GS750 chain bike, and I owned one in 1978 so I should know.
                              Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              Easier carb removal/replacement is not a valid reason to go to pods on a shaftie -- they're very easy to remove, even with the airbox in place. The airbox doesn't add any time and little effort to the process.

On other models, it's true that the airbox turns carb removal into a nightmare struggle. But it's easy as pie on the 850+ shafties.
                              On my GS it takes me roughly 1/2 to 1 hour to remove or install the carbs because of the airbox. And the airbox and all the rubber bits fore and aft are brand new parts. When I had the old 1983 rubber bits on it, it took even longer because they did not flex enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X