Your two cents... GS750 Shifting Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your two cents... GS750 Shifting Issue

While riding home one day, the clutch cable snapped and I was forced to ride about 12 miles home shifting gears without using the clutch. It got pretty interesting once I was on surface streets but I made it home. From what I know, shifting without the clutch would not cause damage to the trans... I replaced the cable and now the I have to screw out the adjustment screws all the way out to get it to engage the clutch. I assumed the clutch plates were worn so I ordered new plates and installed them and followed my clymer manual adjusting the clutch cable. Note that I measured the old clutch plates and they were brand new (measured with a mircrometer) and the springs were within spec too. I installed new clutch friction plates none the less.

So now I got it all back together and I can shift into first or second only, it also feels like there is no return spring on the shifter. I push it down into first and it sits there, and when I shift it into second, trying to shift up into third feels like nothing is there. I went through and confirmed I adjusted the clutch cable correctly, including on how it engages the clutch shaft. Do you think my three year old climbing on and off the bike could have caused damage to the shifter lever? I would like to get some feedback from the forum as I am ready to tear the whole thing apart to look for a bent shift fork. I took it for a spin tonight and it will get into third but then I can only do third to second. After revving it up in second I can get back to first... does not work everytime and when I shift down it is like nothing is there.

Let me know what you think. Thanks,

Welcome to the site. Sounds like the adjustment isn't complete. Work on doing the adjustment per the manual.

Others will have better info for you but you'll need to add what year 750 you are talking about.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I think your clutch isn't disengaging all the way. When the transmission is under load, you can't shift. If you're in 3rd, can you clutchlessly upshift? i.e. preload the shift lever and blip off and back onto the throttle?

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna check it out per your advice. Its a 1979 GS750e by the way.

Comment

Some folks never use the clutch to shift, they go for years and years that way without problems. It's not likely you did much damage.

When you played around inside the clutch cover, the return spring on the shifter might have fallen off it's pin.
          Last edited by tkent02; 02-10-2012, 09:44 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. wwahbe,

Check the factory manual for the adjustment procedure. Use the GS750 (8-valve) Service Manual (87MB) manual. (Note: Right-click and "Save as...)

Now let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

You should replace the springs whether or not they're in spec. Usually they wear out before the plates and fibers do. I've installed "in spec" springs and had it slip still. Installed new and it was fine.

Comment

The factory cables have an adjustment in the middle of the cable - maybe.
                First thing to do is adjust the clutch at the engine with the cable removed from the handle bars.Loosen the locknut and adjust the screw all the way in and back out 1/2 turn & tighten lock nut... Then adjust the cable

Comment

I read a thread about this a while back, and it was said by several members that the adjustment has a narrow window and it might take a few adjustment at both ends and in the middle if the cable if it has it there. I put on cable and a new clutch and you have to play with adjustment to get it right

Comment

A shift problem isn't a clutch problem. It's not shifting right, that isn't the clutch.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Did you have both sides in bits at the same time?. The shift lever shaft could have been displaced and the return spring could have jumped the peg, giving a strange feeling at the lever.
                      My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Working...
                      X