GS1100ES Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100ES Oil Leak

My first bike after 3 days of work and Finally Got it running after rewiring half of the harness and a new dyna s. Got her running good then I let her run for awhile. She started leaking oil and i turned her off.She seems to be leaking oil from the hole on the left side just below the starter.
    Any idea what would cause this? (oil also seem to get onto the stator?)
    (Before i bought the bike it sat for awhile but had oil)

There is an O-ring on the base of the shaft of the starter that seals the gap where the starter hooks up to the idle gear behind the stator cover.

Pull the starter, replace the o-ring and you shouldn't get any more oil coming through.

Nic
    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

I would make sure you oil the o-ring as well so you do not cut it on re insertion of the starter. It is possible to get the starter on with the carbs on but, it is easier to avoid cutting the o-ring when they are out.

The stator is bathed in oil for cooling

Comment

Thank you for the replies! I inspected the seal and it was fine.But on closer inspection to the oil I pour some 10w 40 into up cup and looked at the old oil it was way to thin almost like water im figuring someone put 10w30 in it ? and it broke down and over fill cause it to leak. my best guess. new 10 w40 Ran it and no leak.

Comment

Does the oil smell of gas? A bad petcock can allow fuel into the crankcase, overfilling it and dilluting the oil. Most here recommend a heavier diesel oil, it helps the clutch. I have been using 15w-40.

Comment

Nope no gas smell to it just really broken down almost black and really thinned out.

Comment

I use 15w-40 Rotella T. According to one of the oil guru sites this type and weight of oil has the best shear properties, which our transmissions appreciate. And lacks the conserving properties which our clutches hate.

Comment

Working...
              X