Flippin Frustrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flippin Frustrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have an 82 gs550L. When I got it it would'nt start. I took the carbs off and dipped and cleaned them. My petcock was shot so I got a new one. Checked compression and it is fine. Checked the spark and spark is fine. Gas is getting to the carbs. Why in the name of Sam Hill won't this thing start? I don't know what else to do. What am I missin? If it would just start and run like crap I could deal with that. HELP

I hate to say it, but it's common with first-time carb 'dippers'.

Just because gas is getting to the carbs, does not mean it's getting to the engine.

How long did you dip the carbs?
    Did you rinse them with HOT water after the dip?
    Did you blow out ALL the passages in the carb bodies and float bowls with carb spray and compressed air?
    Did you re-assemble them properly?
    Where did you pre-set your mixture screws?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I dipped for 24 hrs. Took pics and reassembled them back the same way. Rinsed with water and blew out with compressed air. Replaced all o rings and 1 of the screens that was mangled. Mix screws were 2 1/2 turns each. Manual calls for 2 turns out. Thats where I stand now. Btw, when I took the carbs apart I was shocked of how clean they were. P.O. Had the bike running all of 2010. I got the bike Nov. 2011. He said when he tried to start it in the spring of 11 it wouldn't fire at all. I know it has to be the carbs, but man I did it all to those things. This will not get the best of me!!

Comment

Did you bench sync the carbs? Applying choke? Filter and air box in place? Any mods from stock?

Comment

Originally posted by tigerfan474 View Post
          Have an 82 gs550L. If it would just start and run like crap I could deal with that. HELP
          Let's hope so ! So maybe your carbs are OK, have you checked plug wires going to right plugs ?- do you understand proper use of "choke" system?- no throttle input required or needed. Try blocking air filter with rag to coax it to life. If PO had it running well in 2010, should wake up easily.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Some might consider it heretical but you could give it a small whiff of starting fluid just to confirm there is effective spark within the cylinder. If it fires briefly, then back to the carbs.
            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
            1983 GS 1100 G
            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

I've used a dental syringe to put a drops of fuel into the cylinders via the plug holes.
              If it's not getting fuel and firing correctly you'll know it as soon as ya hit the starter button.

Speaking of plugs, yours new??
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
              .................________-|___\____
              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

One more thing, although it seems a bit unrelated: have you adjusted your valves?

Tight valves make ir VERY hard to start a cold engine.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

First, diagnose the problem then deal with the resultant issues. Don't just chase after ghosts. Be methodical and write down what you do and the result. Start with the most obvious and easiest then move to more difficult and less common.

Step one, make sure you have good spark on all cylinders. Remove a spark plug, hold it with some insulated pliers against the cylinder head so it's ground, then hit the starter and see if you have good spark. Do this on all the plugs.

If spark is good, step 2 is to check for fuel. When you pulled the plugs, were they wet with gas? If fuel is flowing but no spark, the plug tips should be wet after you try and turn it over. If they are dry, then fuel is not flowing. Start with the petcock. Grab a pan and turn the petcock over to prime and make sure fuel flows from the petcock. Leave it on prime for the initial starting attempt to rule out a bad petcock. IF fuel flows via the petcock, then make sure your fuel lines are not clogged. If they look good, then it's time to tear down the carbs again. Make sure you clean them really good and set the bowl height to spec.

Next you need air. Make sure there is nothing blocking the air flow (crud filter, rag left in the air box, etc). You also need to check that there are no bad air leaks like cracked or holes in the airboots, carb slide stuck open, etc.

If you have spark and you have fuel & air, then you need to check compression. If compression is good, then check timing. If timing is good, check for excessive valve clearances. These most likely will not keep an engine from starting unless they are excessive.

One of those will likely be the culprit. But take your time and check only one at a time and you will find your answer.

Good luck.
                  Last edited by Sci85; 02-05-2012, 07:43 PM.
                  1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                  1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                  2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

One more little piece of advice - click that "User CP" link up and to the left, and edit your profile to include your location. If you continue to be frustrated, there may just be a helpful experienced GSRer near you to come have a look. You probably won't get that offer if we don't know where you are, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
                      ... If timing is good, check for excessive valve clearances. These most likely will not keep an engine from starting unless they are excessive. ...
                      Actually, it's MINIMAL clearances that will prevent it from starting, but the point remains: check your clearances.

And, unless you have a 16-valve engine with a loose valvetrain locknut, clearances very seldom open up.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Actually, it's MINIMAL clearances that will prevent it from starting, but the point remains: check your clearances.
                        This. Too much clearance actually makes it easier to start by reducing valve overlap. Too tight prevents starting by preventing compression.
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks , Will do that

Comment

Spark is good. I did put a little gas in the cylinder and it fired right up. Changed the plugs. I appreciate all of the advice.

Comment

Did you remove and clean the pilot jets when you did the carbs?

Comment

Working...
                              X