Head Cover Gasket Question - Real Gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head Cover Gasket Question - Real Gasket

I'm going to order a Real Gasket head cover and breather cover gaskets. Here the deal though. I'm not seeing where my year model and part number are lining up with what is listed on the Real Gasket site.

This is what the parts diagram shows for my bike. 82 GS850GLZ As you can see the parts number is 11173-45004-H17 . It's the 16 hole gasket.

This is what Real Gasket Lists:

Anyone else bought this gasket for a GS850? Just want to be sure I'm getting the right gasket.

If I recall correctly what I've read, it was sometime late in the '82 model year that the 850 cam cover changed from 16 to 19 holes. That is, it happened before the '83 model year, so the years given on the RG site aren't exactly right. You'll need to examine your own head [insert joke] to see which you need. If your cam cover has a bolt hole just about where the number 2 is pointing on that diagram, you have the later 19 hole cam cover. Of course, you can always count the bolts too.
    Last edited by Dogma; 02-06-2012, 03:38 PM.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
      If I recall correctly what I've read, it was sometime during the '82 model year that the 850 cam cover changed from 16 to 19 holes. You'll need to examine your own head [insert joke] to see which you need. If your cam cover has a bolt hole just about where the number 2 is pointing on that diagram, you have the later 19 hole cam cover.
      You are correct Dogma. They did change the cover that year. I have the 16 hole earlier Model Z head cover. The strange thing is that when I find the parts number on the Real Gasket site that it corresponds to a 79 model gasket. And then they have the 16 hole under my year model, but it doesn't match the OEM part number.

Clear as mud?

Comment

Your right!
        I see where the gasket you need is listed for the '80-'81 models.

Boulevard Suzuki lists it for the '82 but it doesn't quantify the holes. The Z model being the '82.

And the D model being the '83.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Hi,

Yes, if yours is an '82 with a 16 hole valve cover, use the '80-'81 part. Since you've got the tach send gear in the head it will work nicely. Just don't over-torque it. Use only 15 inch pounds, NOT foot pounds (ft. lbs.). It's basically 1/2 to 3/4 turn past finger tight, just enough to squish the gasket a bit. Make sure all surfaces are really clean. Use some thread sealer (NOT thread locker) on the valve cover bolts. Check them again after a few heating/cooling cycles.

The Real Gaskets' part number that I use is RG-11173-45004.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 02-06-2012, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi,

Yes, if yours is an '82 with a 16 hole valve cover, use the '80-'81 part. Since you've got the tach send gear in the head it will work nicely. Just don't over-torque it. Use only 15 inch pounds, NOT foot pounds (ft. lbs.). It's basically 1/2 to 3/4 turn past finger tight, just enough to squish the gasket a bit. Make sure all surfaces are really clean. Use some thread sealer (NOT thread locker) on the valve cover bolts. Check them again after a few heating/cooling cycles.

The Real Gaskets' part number that I use is RG-11173-45004.

BassCliff
            Thanks BassCliff. You answered some other questions I would have had. One more. Do I put the gasket on dry or should it be prepped with something?

Comment

Hi,

Everything goes together dry and clean, as squeaky clean as you can get it. Use no sealant, no gasket goop, no oil, no spit, no Elmer's glue, nothing.

BassCliff

Comment

Good idea on the thread sealer. That was my main complaint with the Real Gasket - the bolts used to back out.

If you use new half moons at the end of the cam tunnels you have to put them in with sealer as the 15 inch lbs isn't enough to get enough compression for a good seal.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  If you use new half moons at the end of the cam tunnels you have to put them in with sealer as the 15 inch lbs isn't enough to get enough compression for a good seal.
                  Yes! Use a little gasket sealer on the round edge of the half moons. I give mine a little tap with a hammer to make sure they are pressed in well enough before installing the valve cover and gasket.

BassCliff

Comment

Steve made this recommendation and it sounded pretty good: torque down the head cover with no gasket and leave overnight to seat the half-moons fully. Then re-install with your real gasket the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                      Steve made this recommendation and it sounded pretty good: torque down the head cover with no gasket and leave overnight to seat the half-moons fully. Then re-install with your real gasket the next day.

Good idea. Thanks guys.

Comment

What about when I am replacing case/cover gaskets with OEM gaskets? What kind of prep? I've seen everything from WD-40 to grease that people use to prep the gasket. Is that necessary?

Comment

Necessary? No. But a light coating of grease or WD-40 can help the gasket release cleanly later, potentially allowing for gasket re-use and saving you a gasket surface to clean up.

Originally posted by Good Times View Post
                          What about when I am replacing case/cover gaskets with OEM gaskets? What kind of prep? I've seen everything from WD-40 to grease that people use to prep the gasket. Is that necessary?

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                            Necessary? No. But a light coating of grease or WD-40 can help the gasket release cleanly later, potentially allowing for gasket re-use and saving you a gasket surface to clean up.
                            Good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Good Times View Post
                              I'm going to order a Real Gasket head cover and breather cover gaskets. Here the deal though. I'm not seeing where my year model and part number are lining up with what is listed on the Real Gasket site.

This is what the parts diagram shows for my bike. 82 GS850GLZ As you can see the parts number is 11173-45004-H17 . It's the 16 hole gasket.

This is what Real Gasket Lists:

Anyone else bought this gasket for a GS850? Just want to be sure I'm getting the right gasket.
                              The 3rd gasket from the top seems to list '82 E, G, and GL as applicable bikes and specifies 16 bolts.
                              1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                              1983 GS 1100 G
                              2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                              2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                              1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
                              X