Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ignition cover and feeler gauge

Hope you guys can help out.

1st I got a cover for the ignition, where the key goes, but it don't want to stay on, it slides on no problem, but it attaches to nothing, so it can spin freely and it can also fall off with no problem, slip it on, turn the unit upside down and it (black cover) slides right off

am I missing something, is it the wrong part for my ignition, do I glue it on, or what....

please help out

2nd I was going to check on the valves, but I really suck at this sort of thing, the manual say 0.09 - 0.13 mm (0.004 - 0.005 in ) so I went and purchased a feeler gauge, but I don't see those numbers on the gauge I have or do I ?

I took a few pics and of what I think is the gauge I need to use but I am unsure, can someone please tell me if I am even close, or do I need another gauge, smaller or larger ?

Thanks

Last edited by Guest; 02-06-2012, 07:35 PM.

Hi,

I use a metric feeler gauge to avoid this confusion. You have an SAE (American) gauge with metric equivalents. The blades you are showing in your last picture are all too big. Are there smaller ones?

If these are the blades in your gauge set:

...then you can only use 2 of them: (SAE).0040 and (SAE).0050. The metric equivalents shown above are .102 and .127 which is close to the factory manual spec of .09mm-.130mm.

When checking valve clearances on the 16 valve engines it is usually easier to use two feeler gauges, one under each lock nut, when setting the clearances. See Valve Adjustment for 16 Valve Motors.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks a lot.....

yes those are what my gauge has, so at least I can use it, but maybe I will return it, and get an all metric one, so I have the correct numbers, I go by the place almost everyday, so no issue in exchanging it, if they have an all metric one.

I did look at the link you posted on Valve Adjustment, and have downloaded it to the PC and have a printed copy as well

Cheers

Comment

finding a metric feeler that goes small enough is had to find, I think I found mine at napa.

Comment

Man I'm sorry,didn't really LOOK at your pics.That IS a different ignition lock than any of the ones on any of the 750's I had.Looks very much like the one Chuck Hann sent me.I now have a cover that will work.Has a hole in it but I doubt you would see that.

Comment

No worries there Greg, crap happens, it's all cool

Comment

Working...
            X