1982 GS1100e oil leak on front of engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS1100e oil leak on front of engine

I have 2 Gs1100e's 1982 and 1983 and ive noticed a accumulation of oil half way down the front of the engine directly in the middle where there is the one head bolt, i warmed up both bikes yesterday and watched them both lightly bubble oil out of the gasket right were that bolt is below the exhaust ports directly in the middle of the engine, i read somewhere that this is the bolt that is recomended to be retourqued after a certain amount of time, does anyone know the tourque pounds i should give this bolt?
    1982 GS1100E 1983 GS1100E

Originally posted by batterup View Post
    I have 2 Gs1100e's 1982 and 1983 and ive noticed a accumulation of oil half way down the front of the engine directly in the middle where there is the one head bolt, i warmed up both bikes yesterday and watched them both lightly bubble oil out of the gasket right were that bolt is below the exhaust ports directly in the middle of the engine, i read somewhere that this is the bolt that is recomended to be retourqued after a certain amount of time, does anyone know the tourque pounds i should give this bolt?
    My ED does the same thing

Comment

Did you tighten up the bolt at all? I gave it a small turn with the 10mm, it definately tightened up, i havent tested it yet to see if it still leaks.. I hope i didnt mess anything up by tightening this..

Comment

I assume you are talking about the upside-down 6mm bolt that goes up through the cylinder boss between #2 and #3 exhaust ports and threads into the head from underneath? If that is the one, the torque is 60-96 inch/pounds. I'd also take the cam cover off and make sure all the head nuts are properly torqued to 25.5-29 foot/pounds BEFORE torquing the 6mm bolts - especially the two in the front center just inside of the 6mm bolt where the leak is occuring.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          My ED does the same thing
          My '82 EZ did it too, until I tightend that bolt. I do believe they had problems with valve cover gaskets leaking on GS1100's and increased the number of bolts. It didn't stop the leak on mine even though it has the newer gasket. I just snugged up the bolt somewhat and that stopped it.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Make sure that the leak is actually coming from that area. These engines have o-rings on the two inside head nuts just behind that bolt. When they leak, the oil runs down and accumulates around the low point - which is that bolt.
            -1980 GS1100 LT
            -1975 Honda cb750K
            -1972 Honda cl175
            - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
              Make sure that the leak is actually coming from that area. These engines have o-rings on the two inside head nuts just behind that bolt. When they leak, the oil runs down and accumulates around the low point - which is that bolt.
              Are you talking about item 17 in this diagram?
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

yes, #17 are the o-rings in question.... camcover off and remove one on the head bolts at a time. replace o-ring and bolt it back togather. if it only leaks a little and can be cleaned after a ride, the cost of a replacement camcover gasket is quite a bit. good job to do if/when you check valve clearances...

Comment

See my post here......

Simple job, worked like a champ, and cheap!

Comment

I'm aware of the o-rings and but mine will bubble from the front bolt area. Not all teh time more so when cold.
                    This is after only about 10K miles on fresh 1166 kit
                    Last edited by posplayr; 02-13-2012, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Both of my gs1100e's bubble from this front bolt too as i said in my first post, its definately that bolt area..

I assume you are talking about the upside-down 6mm bolt that goes up through the cylinder boss between #2 and #3 exhaust ports and threads into the head from underneath? If that is the one, the torque is 60-96 inch/pounds. I'd also take the cam cover off and make sure all the head nuts are properly torqued to 25.5-29 foot/pounds BEFORE torquing the 6mm bolts - especially the two in the front center just inside of the 6mm bolt where the leak is occuring.
                      This gives me exactly what i was looking for, big thanks OldSkool!! Did you try this posplayer? Im gonna give it a go, if i already gave the bolt a turn would it best to back track and follow your instructions above or just wait and see if me tightening that bolt already sealed the leak? Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Working...
                      X