Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need diagnostic help with a possible clutch issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need diagnostic help with a possible clutch issue.

Looking to get a couple mechanical issue taken care of before the season starts. After my little run in with a deer last year, the clutch lever was broken and the cable end at the lever was crimped. I replaced both with new but the bike wont shift as easy as it did before. I can put the bike in N and start it fine but there isnt enough release in the clutch to ease the bike into gear with the lever pulled. This is not one of the areas Im comfortable in so any help is appreciated.

Have you already looked through the service manual and your Clymer's/Haynes for the procedure? I know my Clymer's has a pretty decent writeup for mine but I can't say much else for the 650 or 750 (not sure which bike you are working on).
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Its the 650. Ill read up on it again.
      Thanks

Comment

Not familiar with your bike but there will be adjustment at both the lever and clutch release mechanism end. As mentioned, there should be more info on these in the manual but essentially it will be a trial and error moving of the adjusters at both end to see what works.

Its hard to explain because each bike is a tad different than the others. I usually adjust the top part first then move down to the lower end. Its not difficult just a bit fiddly.

Play with it a bit and you will get it.

cheers,
        spyug

Comment

The lever on top of the clutch cover should be about 90 degrees to the cable... Just a little bit of slack in the cable with the bars turned all the way both ways... And this I just heard about, tie the clutch lever back and let the bike run a while, it takes time to pump new oil into the space between the clutch plates after they sit a while. My GS1100G and my wife's DR 200 both were helped by doing this, the clutches are smoother and less grabby now.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ah thanks. I can fabricate anything, but wrenching bikes just isnt my long suit. Couse Im not a derp either. I appreciate the help.

Comment

The arm-adjuster is on the rider's-right side of the engine, follow the cable all the way down from the top, you'll see.
              Double-check it and make sure nothing is loose or out of whack, make sure it moves when you squeeze the clutch.

I had a no-start condition once, and the Arm actually slipped to the Left a tiny bit, and when you squeezed the clutch, it felt normal, but it just wasn't enough pressure to engage the actual clutch.
              Last edited by Guest; 02-12-2012, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X