GS550 stator cover bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 stator cover bolts?

My stator cover screws are in sad shape, and I'd like to replace them. Does anyone know the specs, specifically lengths, I need? I'd really rather not tear everything apart (again) just to get the bolt specs.

If not, is there anywhere that I can order them as a kit?

Just head to Alpha-sports website- should show the screws and their location in the cover. 6mm X45 mm long, etc, probably 3 lengths. when you remove them note their positions as it's easy to mix up. I just went to local hardware store to replace mine- I'm leery of kits as they might have some too long which would bottom out before tightenning the cover.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

All M6. 5 no 40mm, 2 no 45mm and 1 no 35mm
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm going to stop by the hardware store tonight and see what I can find.

Comment

Hi,

I just got a bolt kit from Z1 and replaced all the cover bolts on the entire engine. It was very cost effective.

For example, click the picture for the 1980 GS550E bolt kit ($25.95):

Description: "Includes 62 bolts and 3 Allen keys for a total of 65 pieces. Primarily all visible bolts on lower covers. Any extras shown here - Clutch Cover, Cylinder Head Cover, Engine Covers."

Here's how they look on my bike:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Get the kit. I just went to True Valuethis afternoon and bought 3 stainless allen screws. One 6 x 20, oe3 6 x 25, one 6 x 35. shortys were $1.40 each, the 35mm was $1.60

Pull one out, match it up with one from the kit, replace it. move to the next one. Its easy not to mess it up.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

The bolt kit does look like the more economical way to go, but I was hoping to pick some bolts or screws up locally to hold me over until I'm ready to order all the little stuff I need. I wanted to get the bolt kit and gasket kit and do valve covers, cam caps, both side covers, TCT, and maybe even my base gasket all at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pendulum View Post
                The bolt kit does look like the more economical way to go, but I was hoping to pick some bolts or screws up locally to hold me over until I'm ready to order all the little stuff I need. I wanted to get the bolt kit and gasket kit and do valve covers, cam caps, both side covers, TCT, and maybe even my base gasket all at once.
                Careful. Its addictive. You may end up with the switch pod screws, Triple clamp pinch bolts, carburetor bodies, headlight ring bolts.

Its a slippery slope.

A few at a time doesn't seem that expensive. If your bike came with the 8mm hex cover bolts and 10mm valve cover bolts, it isn't even needed (but still looks great).
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I today just received my stainless 92 pc. kit from stainlesscycle on ebay wich i paid 41.75 shipping included.I have already been to the local hardware store to pick some more for the carbs and such.Very addicting lol

Comment

I'm mainly just concerned with stopping oil leaks and replacing stripped screws. For now

I just ordered the stator cover bolts and gasket and my timing chain tensioner gasket from BikeBandit. I had a gift card to use so figured I may as well use it.

Comment

Almost all the bolt sizes are imbedded in the part number.

See post #4 in this thread.

Larry D
                      1980 GS450S
                      1981 GS450S
                      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Nice, good to know. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
                        X