Water in secondary drive oil - need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water in secondary drive oil - need advice

From my post 6ish months ago, I found out that I had water in my secondary drive oil which Nessism was kind enough to help me with.

I changed the oil several more times (as was recommended) but I was never able to get it completely clean of water. So now I know that I have an on going, unresolved leak where water keeps getting into the secondary drive.

This takes us to today where I'm knee deep in restoring the old girl but I can't seem to find the leak! Can anyone think of any passageway inside the motor which I'm unaware of which could let the water in because I'm thinking it's got to be seeping in through either the fill cap or the thing which I circled in green in the picture below. (ps I recycled the picture posted by bwringer which I found in my SEARCH... novel idea huh?)
    Place your 4 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.

I'm not sure what the thing in green connects to because I was so ticked about how much water was in there that I just stopped before I waste anymore time on this. I assume it's a breather or overflow of some sort but I'm not sure if it could suck water up or what.

I'm pretty ticked about this because I've got pretty much everything restored besides the wheels, frame, suspension, and motor and now I feel like I'm at a dead end because I can't find this darn leak. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GLZ
    1988 Suzuki VS750GLP SOLD 10/2009

The item in green is the breather for the secondary drive and I suspect that is where your water is coming from. I had the same problem, when I bought my G I had water back there too. Mine turned out to be the seal on the breather leaking water into the case.

Cheers

Comment

The crazy canuck in another forum might have found a secret passageway in this area. But it seems likely to be the breather gizmo- maybe a vacuum is pulling water in it. How about sticking a hose over fitting and running it vertically , so it can't easily find water.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Was the engine pressure washed, or exposed to a lot of water in some way? I think the only way for water to get into the oil is though the breather. Assuming the water got in by washing, it may take a few different flushing treatments before it all purges though. You will have to run the bike between each flush cycle but eventually the oil should clean up.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You are probab;y aweare that the breather hose is intended to route through the slot behind the starter and down into the hole under it. If the hose was layin on top of the case water could have gotten in that way. Acording to the finche the "plug" that the hose connects to is not part of the case, so the only other thought I have is that the connection between the case and plug is defected allowing water in. Best of luck, I just got through a nightmare with my sec.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your responses! I got frustrated yesterday and thanks to the great people here on the GSR, I got some of the direction I needed to fix this issue.

I'm almost to the point in my restoration where I'll have all of the parts sorted and I can place my big parts order and then toil over what colors to pick for the frame and tins. Ill be sure to post pics in the project forum when i start to get this girl back on the road. Thanks again!

Ps Matt1100 - nice GLZ!
            1982 Suzuki GS1100GLZ
            1988 Suzuki VS750GLP SOLD 10/2009

Comment

Working...
            X