still having clutch problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

still having clutch problems

I'm still fighting with my clutch. When the motor is cold i can set the proper slack. then once i've been riding for a while and everything gets good and hot there is a ton of slack even to the point where it won't disengage. i've already replaced the cable with a new suzuki cable. clutch fibers and steels are brand new. running rotella 15w40. cleaned and properly adjusted worm gear on left side of motor. what can be causing this? I'm past ready to get rid of this thing!

Yeah, this stuff gets annoying at times! How about a backwards approach- next time it warms up, set the free play to your liking, then see what happens at next cold start.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Lets hope it's just new parts that have to wear in some.
      I can't think of any other reason for that.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Shouldn't be any change at all with temperature. That's strange. Do you have the cable routed close to the exhaust pipe?
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

One thing you may want to check is the release mech under the clutch cover the plastic may be broken ? Start over with the adjustment. Disconnect the cable from the clutch lever. Adjust it at the engine first. Then adjust it at the lever

Comment

cable routing is good. i can set it when its hot and then its way too tight when it cools off.
            the only thing i notice that seems odd to me is that whether it is cold or hot when i squeeze the clutch handle if i squeeze it a couple times it feels like it gets looser and looser and the free play increases just like when it gets hotter. not as badly obviously but still increases in free play.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
              One thing you may want to check is the release mech under the clutch cover the plastic may be broken ? Start over with the adjustment. Disconnect the cable from the clutch lever. Adjust it at the engine first. Then adjust it at the lever
              already done several times. doesn't help a bit. Not sure what plastic you are talking about. I don't have any plastic under there.

Comment

Originally posted by shinzon1 View Post
                I don't have any plastic under there.
                Yes, you do.
                The plastic spiral worm get part that turns the rotary motion of the cable arm into a push on the clutch push rod. It should be clean and greased, adjusted correctly and not broken. I just re read your post, it sounds like it's in good shape? Its hard to imagine heat having any effect, though.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Yes, you do.
                  The plastic spiral worm get part that turns the rotary motion of the cable arm into a push on the clutch push rod. It should be clean and greased, adjusted correctly and not broken. I just re read your post, it sounds like it's in good shape? Its hard to imagine heat having any effect, though.
                  Everything under there is metal. there is definitely nothing plastic around the worm gear area.

Comment

Is it possible for a cable to stretch and shrink that much when used? I can tell you that the more I use the clutch the worse it gets, but then it slowly makes its way back to the set position after i don't use it.

Comment

Does anyone have anymore ideas? I've exhausted everything I can think of.

Comment

im in joelton tn----i might could meet ya somewhere and have a look at it---ill make sure and take a good look at my '82 and how its routed first

Comment

Does your cable run to the left side or the right side of the case? Mine is to the left. I know most of the newer bikes run to the right side. We can meet wherever you want or if your comfortable with it I can come to your place. Anything works for me.

Comment

hey man had a late night at work----im bout to go out in the garage and look at mine real close---we could prob meet up in ashland city somewhere this weekend or friday night----i could come to your place if ya want especially if you are worried about driving it like that---plus we may need some tools to mess around with it--i will PM you with my phone number

Comment

the actual clutch arm is on the right side on mine----if strait ahead is 12 oclock my arm is in about the 12:30 position

the cable then runs through its mount with about 7 threads sticking sticking out towards the shaft

then it goes up between the #1 and #2 carb----far left carb being #1----and then up under the tank and up to the clutch lever

Are you sure that the little splines on the arm and the shaft are mated and tight---could the arm be slipping periodically on the shaft?

only thing i can think of right now

heat should not be affecting the cable

Comment

Working...
                              X