No announcement yet.

still having clutch problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been watching this one, and it's puzzling.

I can think of a dozen plausible explanations of how a clutch release mechanism could develop play / slop as it's being used.

I can't think of a single plausible explanation of how that slop could undo itself, without human intervention.

Still, I'd start with a new (or just different) cable from a different manufacturer, only because it's the only reasonably elastic component in the chain.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by esj001 View Post
      the actual clutch arm is on the right side on mine----if strait ahead is 12 oclock my arm is in about the 12:30 position

the cable then runs through its mount with about 7 threads sticking sticking out towards the shaft

then it goes up between the #1 and #2 carb----far left carb being #1----and then up under the tank and up to the clutch lever

Are you sure that the little splines on the arm and the shaft are mated and tight---could the arm be slipping periodically on the shaft?

only thing i can think of right now

heat should not be affecting the cable
      Yours has the "newer" style that i wish i had. Mine is the older push rod style.

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
        I've been watching this one, and it's puzzling.

I can think of a dozen plausible explanations of how a clutch release mechanism could develop play / slop as it's being used.

I can't think of a single plausible explanation of how that slop could undo itself, without human intervention.

Still, I'd start with a new (or just different) cable from a different manufacturer, only because it's the only reasonably elastic component in the chain.
        I was thinking about that last night too. I may go ahead and order another suzuki cable and look and see if motion pro has one. Those are really the only brands i'm aware of.
        I was also thinking of trying taking the oil filler cap off and measuring between the side of the case and the pressure plate with it cold and the going for a ride and then taking the same measurement while it is hot to see if the clutch fibers are expanding. That should at least tell me if the fibers have anything to do with the problem.
        Last edited by Guest; 02-22-2012, 11:39 AM.

Comment

I was able to go heat the bike up good till the freeplay got out of whack pretty good. I measured between the case and the clutch fibers and it was the same as cold. so i think it must be the cable. the old cable was really hard to pull and did the same thing as this newer one. im gonna order another one tomorrow. guess we will how it goes from there.

Comment

Hope it is just the cable---cant think of any other thing it could be---good luck and let us know----you have everyone curious now

Comment

I finally got my new clutch cables in. I think i'm gonna start with aftermarket motion pro cable because it feels better and as the one that is on it is a new oem cable. if it does the same thing then i will put the newer oem cable on and see how it goes. hopefully i'll be able to do this tomorrow. will let ya know how it goes.

Comment

haven't been able to drive it very much, but with the aftermarket cable on it seems to do better. hopefully i'll get to go riding this weekend. we've had nothing but rain when i'm free to ride. and calling for nothing but rain next week. will get back to you when i finally get to ride.

Comment

Finally got to ride yesterday. Unfortunately neither of the new cables helped at all. still have the same problem. guess its back to the drawing board. Any other ideas?

Comment

I once bought a Motion Pro clutch cable to replace my aged stock cable. big mistake, didn't last 4 years until the strands started breaking. I ordered a OEM and its was better made. The strands never starting breaking on the older cable. 28 years off the stock one compared to 4 years off the Motion Pro...
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

A few of my bikes exhibited the exact same condition so I adjusted the cable for the proper free play when the engine is hot, and didn't worry about the lack of free play when cold. Never had a problem. And no, the cable has nothing to do with this situation...but a fresh clutch cable is a thing of beauty and worth every penny.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

as far as the cable goes the old aged factory cable did it when i got it. so i replaced with a new oem cable. still did it. put the another factory cable and then a motion pro cable on it and still does it. i do think the motion pro cable does it less. i just hate having to adjust it all the time. i guess i'll just take your advice and adjust it for hot and leave it when cold. i just won't be taking any interstate trips. Did you ever figure out what it could be?

Comment

The 850 clutch release mechanism has a wide engagement point. Small changes in the heat related clutch pack swelling are most likely responsible for the changes in the free play. So again, it's nothing to worry about. The bike warms up quickly and the clutch won't slip unless something else is wrong.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

i just hate it because i can't get on the interstate. I'm really wanting to go down to the dragon's tale but can't because of the way this gets. at hwy speeds for a sustained period it changes a fair bit, but at interstate speeds with in just a few miles there is so much slack the clutch doesn't even function. I appreciate all the help though!

Comment

I put on a new Motion-Pro cable and my bike is doing the same thing. Proper play when cold, but won't fully release when warmed up. So much so the engine stalls at stop lights. Didn't do this before the new cable.

Going to try adjusting it when it's fully warmed up and see if that fixes it. If not, may go back to the old cable. There was nothing wrong with it - just replaced it as a preventative measure.

Comment

Working...
                              X