Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a Pic of why my GS1150 Clutch Rattles...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a Pic of why my GS1150 Clutch Rattles...

replaced my plates a few months ago and still had the clutch rattle at idle with the bike in neutral, tried tightening the clutch hub nut and it still had play, removed the clutch hub all the way and on the back inside I could see why it had been rattling, the steel center has just beaten the aluminum housing up...

Suzuki has the part for $99 plus $30 for 2 day air or BikeBandit has it for $89 plus $27 express mail, which option should I go with that fastest? I've never ordered from BB....this early spring weather here in San Jose is amazing and I'm dying to go ride!
    Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2012, 07:44 PM.

I have heard of that happening, but I have never seen it before. You might want to order a new retaining wire for it as well. I havent had any problems with BB. Depeding on where stock is located there might be a delay.

Comment

Don't worry about the wire, it isn't needed. ALL 1150 inner hubs will do this eventually. Ray.

Comment

yea I figured smoethin' was worn, its rattled ever since I had the bike, and the way this thing seems to wear out parts left and right I new something was trashed, that inner spline thing has about 1mm of play in all directions...so I might go the Suzuki dealer route and have it 2nd day aired, is the wire just hold to the bottom steel plate in place?

Comment

Can anything like that be soldered in some way?

Comment

The hub out of my spare parts motor was the exact same.
            Good to know about not needing the piano wire as I would want to remove the last plate as it needs a good cleaning.
            Give Cycle Parts Nation a look as well. They list for 75.31. I have had really fast service from them.

Cheers
            Paul

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              Don't worry about the wire, it isn't needed. ALL 1150 inner hubs will do this eventually. Ray.
              What about the 1100 inner hubs Ray? Do they last as long, if not longer than the 1150 ones with the steel inserts?
              Thanks!
              2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
              1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
              2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
              s)

Comment

In a motor that doesn't get hammered on, like NONE of mine!, the 1150 & 1100 hubs will last quite awhile. Suzuki went to the steel insert because the racers were killing the splines in the aluminum hubs. I don't think they did their homework well enough with that steel insert idea. Once they are loose, they are done! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                  In a motor that doesn't get hammered on, like NONE of mine!, the 1150 & 1100 hubs will last quite awhile. Suzuki went to the steel insert because the racers were killing the splines in the aluminum hubs. I don't think they did their homework well enough with that steel insert idea. Once they are loose, they are done! Ray.
                  OK thanks!
                  2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
                  1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
                  2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
                  s)

Comment

check ebay, i dont think the factory made them for drag racing, but the factories to drop the ball on a lot of things ,that just seem ignorant to begin with, or it is so aftermarket companies cam give pp l more choices
                    its really amazing what any motor goes through! on the humble side of it

Comment

the bike has over 30k on it so its no big deal to get a new clutch hub, Im just going to go with a stock one from Suzuki, it should last another 30k...

Comment

got my clutch hub today! I did get it installed and will hopefully get to test ride the bike tommarow(if I dont get sidetracked)
                        heres a pic of the new hub and the old one...

mine was overly worn out...

Comment

Working...
                        X