Valve stem seals, without removing the cylinder head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tkent02
    not counting thinking time and messing around with your tools, how long would this whole procedure take the second time?
    Maybe 2-3 hrs I guess, depends how well you know how to pull bits off your bike. (and put them back)

TheCafeKid
    then put it back together and have it still burning oil...
    I fully expect the bike to still burn oil, just not quite so much. so I wont be disapointed if it still does, having seen the seals I confident Ill reach my self imposed 50% reduction target. it wasnt that much work, infact a quite lot less than a rebuild.

sedelen
    Got any more tricks for us to see?
    By the power of ebay hocus pocus I can turn model train junk into a less than original Katana. (also junk)

Comment

I'm liking that last trick the best John...
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Well done. It took me a bit longer to do mine. I see some advantages you had over some of my techniques. The window in your pvc is larger than mine, and your ratchet strap and timber arrangment seem to have worked better than my pry bar. The best I could do was to hold te handle of the bar under my arm so I could use both hands on the retainers. Then the bar would slip off the pvc. I even had to stop once, about 12:30 or 1:00 am (yes at night) and convince a police officer that there was no way I was making enough noise to wake the neighbors.

Buddy
        09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
        83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
        81 GS650G for the wife.
        82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
        I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
        If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
        Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

just update

Update this a bit;

Since the job ive well and truly acheived a reduction in oil consumption,
          maybe a like 60% less than it used to use.

But also a unexpected side affect. after a couple of bev races were rpm reach 8k or more, found evidence of blow by in the form of oil in the air box, never had that before. I guess it used to go down the valves, now it cant.

Dosnt happen normal riding, just shows it worn I suppose...I m still happy I did it.

john

Comment

Highway_Glider
            Why is it OK to magnetise the keepers and the valve?

Really its not, for the same reason. But keepers and valves stem tips arnt exposed to rubbing fiction, like a shim is, so the negative effects would be reduced.

I dont like that tool in the video, as it involves hitting, also one slip and you might trash the bucket bore,or bend a valve.

Plus the whole point of this was to be cheap, spending $60 on tool, could be money put towards a head gasket.

Comment

Working...
            X