Severe Rattle from Top of Cylinder Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
    A British silver coin almost exactly the same size as a shim and ideal for sticking in there when doing a shim shuffle.
    Old 10p or new 10p? That is the question.
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
      Or the new, new 10p (one made out of recycled washing machine)? It's the old one that works - young queen or one of the Georges on the back. Probably worth 11p now because of the silver content.

Bring back the ten bob note is what I say. A wallet full of them and you were a rich feller on a mission.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
        Didn't you see what I did there? It was nearly Shakespear!
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Made from washing machines you say? "Luxury"... Aussie 20c so poor made from rusted out baked bean cans.

Comment

Originally posted by john82q View Post
            Made from washing machines you say? "Luxury"... Aussie 20c so poor made from rusted out baked bean cans.
            Our washing machines were made out Aussie 20c made out of old bean cans. When I were a lad we used to dream of owning a rusty bean can........(sorry Don, I'll curtail the stupidness).
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
              Our washing machines were made out Aussie 20c made out of old bean cans. When I were a lad we used to dream of owning a rusty bean can........(sorry Don, I'll curtail the stupidness).
              Wally and others. Thoughts on whether to use threadlocker on the cam cap bolts to prevent them from loosening. I read on a Kawa site that threadlocker is not required or used by the factory, but if threadlocker is to be used then the Loctite 222 (purple) is the one to use. It's the one for small screws like in carbs, 6mm threads or less and for bolts and screws that need to be removed regularly.

Comments.

Comment

Tap them 10mm deeper and get longer bolts.

Like so...

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                  Tap them 10mm deeper and get longer bolts.

Like so...

Daniel
                  I have recoils in all of the cam cap bolt holes already after the bolts stripping out the threads in the head on a previous motor. Took no risk this time, drilled them all out o/s and fitted the recoils (stainless threads). This way I know I can torque the bolts down to the 1.2 kgfm and not stripping anything.

Comment

I've never used Loctite up there Don. I always felt that when you tighten this bolts up to the right torque, and with them being 'that steel' (is it number 9, I can't remember off the top of my head) going in to aluminium that they'll never come undone on their own. Having said that, you're winding some of those bolts in to steel recoils so Loctite wouldn't hurt.

Can't help you on the purple. I've only ever used red and blue inside an engine (and green outside). I wouldn't use red (or green for that matter, unless you knew that the engine would never, ever have to come apart again) for these bolts.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

The purple and green ones should ONLY be used on something that you NEVER want to unscrew EVER.
                      Blue on those bolts, would be my choice.

Daniel

Comment

The purple and green ones should ONLY be used on something that you NEVER want to unscrew EVER.
                        Blue on those bolts, would be my choice.

Daniel
                        Daniel, this is the purple threadlocker that I am referring to and it says it is low strength. This is the wording from the Loctite website.

Loctite 38653 222 Purple Low Strength Thread Locker

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
                        LOCTITE
                        ® 222 provides the following product characteristics:

Technology
                        Acrylic
                        Chemical Type Dimethacrylate ester
                        Appearance (uncured) Purple liquid
                        LMS

Fluorescence Positive under UV light
                        LMS

Components One component - requires no mixing
                        Viscosity Low, thixotropic
                        Cure
                        Anaerobic
                        Secondary Cure Activator

Application
                        Threadlocking

Strength Low

Maybe you are thinking of another product. I have seen the 222 referred to as light blue, but it looks purple to me. Hope I'm not colour blind.

I think I'll try the purple first as I have some on the shelf, if the bolts still loosen off then I'll go for something a bit stronger, the blue one as you suggested. Remembering that it is grade 9 steel bolts going into stainless steel recoils.

Comment

Last time that I used the purple stuff, they had to cutit off with a torch.
                          I do not recommend using it.
                          And yes, the bolts marked with a 9 are grade 10.9 metrics.

Daniel

Comment

Last time that I used the purple stuff, they had to cutit off with a torch.
                            I do not recommend using it.
                            And yes, the bolts marked with a 9 are grade 10.9 metrics.

Daniel
                            Daniel, we must be talking about different products. On the container of 222 that I have at home it says it is for set screws, carburettor screws, etc. and for regular removal. As below:

LOCTITE
                            ® 222 is designed for the locking and sealing of
                            threaded fasteners which require easy disassembly with
                            standard hand tools. The product cures when confined in the
                            absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces and
                            prevents loosening and leakage from shock and vibration.
                            Particularly suitable for applications such as adjustment of
                            set screws, small diameter or long engagement length
                            fasteners, where easy disassembly is required without
                            shearing the screw. The thixotropic nature of LOCTITE
                            ® 222
                            reduces the migration of liquid product after application to the

substrate.

What I might do is a trial and let it sit for a few days to see if it disassembles OK.

Comment

Don,

if it were me I would use the 222 it wont hurt.

loctite info.

At Henkel, innovative thinking and entrepreneurial spirit are in our DNA. We are curious and passionate experts with deep market and application knowledge. Our unrivaled portfolio of adhesives, sealants and functional coatings are designed to transform markets and the way you work. We’re your global partner prepared to handle any challenge and develop a solution that is smart and sustainable — together with you. For the better.

John

Comment

John that chart is wrong - the green stuff isn't high strength, it's evil strength

The purple looks lower strength than the blue and blue would be ok.

(I know i'm being lazy only giving the colours but I can't remember the numbers that I've got on the sides of my pots of Loctite)
                                79 GS1000S
                                79 GS1000S (another one)
                                80 GSX750
                                80 GS550
                                80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Working...
                                X