Oil leak from gear/transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak from gear/transmission

Im not sure the leak is from here, but by the looks of it, there's got to be somehing wrong with the oil seal I think.

But can I pry it out of there with the right tool? BTW, the picture is taken after a 30 min cleaning... he he

Possibly. But, I think that you have to split the cases to do it.

Parts 33,34,35 and 36 here, if it is on your 750:

Or just 35 and 36 if you are lucky.

Daniel

Comment

Split?? Like split the whole engine, taking EVERYTHING appart??? Oh hell no!

Comment

You might get lucky and be able to coat the outside of that seal with RTV to use as a lubricant and get a new one in.
        I have been successful with a similar seal using that technique.
        Wait for some other replies before attempting.

Daniel

Comment

I think you can just pry out that C clip, turn a self tapping screw into each side of the seal and pull it out with a couple pliers.

Comment

So if I get the C clip out, I can then remove the rubber seal thingy?

Comment

Yes to what OLDENUFF says. Did that on my old Kaw, easy enough. PS. just take the old seal to NAPA or......, they can cross reference the the number on it, and may have it in stock. When installing the new seal use the correct size socket to gently AND evenly tap in the new seal.

Comment

But if I remove the C clip, how would I get the new clip in? The seal would just fall out, or?

Comment

Well I now know for shure I have to change to seal. Leaks a lot :-( I have a new seal (from wemoto). But no C-clip.

Comment

Not to be too technical, but that is a half-moon clip.
                    I would try to pry on the ends, sometimes they have a small indent that you can grab onto. A small pick might help in this effort. You would have to pry it out enough to be able to get a small flat blade screwdriver behind it.
                    Installing would be the easy part, just slip in one end and bend the other end back a bit to fit it into the groove.

Comment

I'm with Koolakid on this one.

The half moon clip fits into a indent in the case. They come out when the bases are split and are a close fit.

Think you are going to be struggling with taking the clip and seal out in place.

Comment

Good luck with the seal swap, let us know how it turns out, cheers.
                        Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 03-02-2012, 05:18 PM.
                        Badgezz, we don need noh stinkin' badgezz!
                        Shin-Ken 1074
                        1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
                        1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

I have now started, but I cant see how on earth im going to get the c-clip off and on.. Any very good tips?

Comment

Good new - This was eeeeeeeasy :-)

Well, this was actually the easyest thing I have done on this bike till now. I drilled a little "mark" in the c-clip so I could use the screwdriver to pull it out. Well, I bearly touched the c-clip and it came out. Drilled a tiny hole in the oil-seal and it allmost fell out.

Cleaned everything, and placed the new seal in. Had to make a special tool to get the new seal in. My Statoil Coffe Cup was perfect for the job. Just had to make a hole in it, use the rubber hammer and the seal was in. Perfect

Before we started

C-clip off

Seal off

The special tool

On with the new seal

Seal and c-clip on.

Comment

Excellent!
                              Does it leak?
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X