Clutch drag!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch drag!

I tried searching but that didn't leave me any wiser so here's my problem as written in the FSM.

Symptom: Difficulty in engaging gears, gear changes jerky and macine creeps forward when clutch is withdrawn. Difficulty in selecting neutral.
    And In my case; engine dies when I withdraw the clutch and select 1st.

Cause: Clutch drag

Remedy: Check clutch for to much freeplay. Check plates for burrs on tongues or drum for indentations. Dress with file if damage not too great.

Now! clutch freeplay, do they mean freeplay on the clutch lever? 'cause I have NONE. And the owners manual says ca 4mm.
    How do i check for burrs on tongue? Do I need to remove the right hand side engine cover? And does that mean I have to drain the oil?
    What are "indentations"?

Do I first of all adjust my clutch as per the owners manual or should I just rip open everything

Could my clutch cable need replacing/lubricating? I see that another symptom is "clutch operation stiff", cause: damaged, trapped or frayed control cable.

Or lastly; could all this just be because the bike has been standing since october??
    A friend of mine said his clutch was also dragging after winter storage but it worked itself out the first ride. (yamaha 900 diversion)

I'd rule out the last cause first. Take it for a ride and see if it frees up.
    http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
    1978 GS1000C
    1979 GS1000E
    1980 GS1000E
    2004 Roadstar

Comment

I'm with rover. my bikes been sitting for a long while and I checked the clutch for proper throw. It has enough throw, but the clutch packs are all sticking to the plates from sitting clamped together to long. I believe driving it and abusing the clutch a little bit will free everything up nicely.
      1978 GS550 E
      673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
      New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
      for playing in the dirt

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll be back with the results next week

Comment

Originally posted by Spiff View Post
          Thanks guys, I'll be back with the results next week
          Digging up an old thread, Spiff.

Where did you end up with the clutch issues?
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
          X