Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know the scoop on chani replacemtn

Hi,
    I've got my 79 GS1000 in pieces having had the notion that I could just replace the 630 chain and sprockets directly with new 530 chain and sprockets - not so fast. After removing the old front sprocket, there were spacers on the old sprocket that were not going on the new, smaller 530 sprocket. The back sprocket was also much smaller than the 630. After reading upon the Z1 site, they imply that I should divide the teeth by 5 and multiply by 6 for teeth size of the new 530 sprockets, but this comes up with sizes that aren't offered, so I'm assuming that I have to use the smaller sprockets that I have.
    Further, I obviously need new spacers, since the old front sprocket had iner and outer spacers are almost as big as the new 530 sprocket! The Z1 site recommends a 6mm spacer on the outside (away from the case), but does that allow the alignment of the chain between the front and rear sprockets?
    Any past experience would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for the time,
    Jack

First, you will not have an exact match when changing from 630 chain to a 530 chain. It will be close, however. AFA the spacers, I recommend calling Z1 and talking to a real person. They know their stuff and will be able to guide you through it.

Comment

Quite a bit if the info here http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=184524 doing the same conversion on my 78 1000.

Comment

Working...
      X