Stainless Valve Cover Bolts and a Real Gasket...hmmmm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stainless Valve Cover Bolts and a Real Gasket...hmmmm

Ok so I was advised by BassCliff to us thread sealer on my valve cover bolts to keep them from backing out with the Real Gasket Valve cover gasket.

Then when going through my Z1 stainless bolt kit today I realized that I had stainless for my valve cover bolts. It is advised to use anti-seize on those to keep them from welding to the block.

I'm guessing that the anti-seize will basically do the same thing as the thread sealer. What do you think?

Anyone else run a Real Gasket with stainless steel bolts?

Well, neither. Thread sealer is for bolts that go into an oil cavity. They seal the threads so the oil won't leak out. IDK about your bike's head, but I have never seen one where the threads actually go into the oil cavity itself. If yours do, I agree.
    Anti-seize is for bolts/nuts that have a tendency to freeze up or "weld" themselves to the metal they are threaded into. Again, I have never seen any valve cover bolts with that problem. Your valve cover bolts do not go into the block, they go into the head. For the other bolts, I agree.
    If the point is to keep the bolts from backing out (a real possibility with the very light torque settings the Real Gasket requires), I would use a very light torque thread locker on it. Purple would be best for your very low torque application.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
      Well, neither. Thread sealer is for bolts that go into an oil cavity. They seal the threads so the oil won't leak out. IDK about your bike's head, but I have never seen one where the threads actually go into the oil cavity itself. If yours do, I agree.
      Anti-seize is for bolts/nuts that have a tendency to freeze up or "weld" themselves to the metal they are threaded into. Again, I have never seen any valve cover bolts with that problem. Your valve cover bolts do not go into the block, they go into the head. For the other bolts, I agree.
      If the point is to keep the bolts from backing out (a real possibility with the very light torque settings the Real Gasket requires), I would use a very light torque thread locker on it. Purple would be best for your very low torque application.
      You're right. They do go into the head. Brain isn't working after wrenching most of the day.

The head is aluminum. The head cover bolts I am using are stainless. I don't want the stainless bolts to fuse to the aluminum head.

Comment

If you use a real gasket, the torque spec is so light finger tight is almost too much. Keep that in mind. There are those that love them and those that can't stand em. The major complaints tend to be the gasket squirting out from under the cover because it's been over-torqued, or that you can't torque them down enough to keep the bolts from backing out from vibration without the gasket squirting out. If you plan on using the real gasket you may consider using light duty thread lock...And the torque spec IIRC is in inch pounds, not foot pounds. Most of us don't own a torque wrench that'll do it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          If you use a real gasket, the torque spec is so light finger tight is almost too much. Keep that in mind. There are those that love them and those that can't stand em. The major complaints tend to be the gasket squirting out from under the cover because it's been over-torqued, or that you can't torque them down enough to keep the bolts from backing out from vibration without the gasket squirting out. If you plan on using the real gasket you may consider using light duty thread lock...And the torque spec IIRC is in inch pounds, not foot pounds. Most of us don't own a torque wrench that'll do it.
          Right. I'm good on all of that. I discovered that I can't do inch pounds with my torque wrench either.

My main concern is the stainless bolts in the aluminum head. Everything I've seen says to use anti-seize on stainless bolts in aluminum. Not a thread locker.

Comment

If you are determined to use stainless bolts, you HAVE to use ANTISEIZE! If you want stainless bolts, use the STOCK valve cover gasket. PERIOD!!! Otherwise you are asking either for leaks or broken bolts...... & stainless is NOT fun to try to remove after broken! Ray.

Comment

All GOOD bike mechanics own inch pound torque wrenches!!! LOL! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                Can I borrow yours?

Comment

Yup! That's why everyone knows you're the awesomest bike mechanic ever Ray!!!!!!! Personally I dont own one!! Never had a problem working on em though!!!!!! But I'm not nearly as awesome as you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe I will be when I grow up!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

If you are determined to use stainless bolts, you HAVE to use ANTISEIZE! If you want stainless bolts, use the STOCK valve cover gasket. PERIOD!!! Otherwise you are asking either for leaks or broken bolts...... & stainless is NOT fun to try to remove after broken! Ray.

Aww man.....but my stainless bolts look so cool!!!

I can't be cool and practical at the same time?

Comment

You need a 1/4" torque wrench to get into inch pounds. You can borrow mine if you bring the bike here.

Comment

As a corollary are you saying that you cannot use anti-seize on SS bolts and then only torque them to 7-8 inch pounds? I can't see why they would break if you put anti-seize on them, that is the whole point of anti-seize. Not arguing, just attempting to understand what seems to be conflicting information.

Comment

Would not some Locktite just be enough, it would hold the bolt in place, and it will not allow the stainless steel bolt to be in direct contact with the aluminum head. I have done it this way in the past with no issues, but maybe I was just lucky so far.

Comment

radix pro forma est lucididus.
                            or so I have been told.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                              Would not some Locktite just be enough, it would hold the bolt in place, and it will not allow the stainless steel bolt to be in direct contact with the aluminum head. I have done it this way in the past with no issues, but maybe I was just lucky so far.
                              Rays point was about galvanic corrosion. When you use two different metals and apply pressure, heat, salt and/or moisture the two metals will corrode and basically fuse together. This is why when you look at a water heater there will be dielectric fittings where the copper pipe meets up with the galvanized steel.

Anti-seize prevents this corrosion from occurring.

Comment

Working...
                              X