Stainless Valve Cover Bolts and a Real Gasket...hmmmm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
    I was at least checking the clearances three to four times a year (usually only had to adjust anything once or twice a season) and I will admit to never using anti seize on any of my SS bolts. Not saying its un-necessary, just that I didn't do it.
    And, ironically,the only time ive had a cover bolt snap was a stock bolt in the clutch cover of my 1100E, when I removed it to replace it with SS bolts.

Which brings up the question...most of the stock bolts were steel were they not? So the logic that SS bolts require anti-seize and stock ones don't doesn't really seem to make any sense....
    A valid point Josh. Why is that? I recall that one bike I owned (it might have been my 67 T200, IDR) I installed aluminum allen head screws and it was a disaster. They stripped out and I had to grind them out. Stainless is supposed to be more inert than regular steel also. I do not use any anti-seize on any of my current or past bikes ((16+) and I suspect all of those bolts are steel and the cases are aluminum or aluminum alloy. What is with that?

Comment

I've been using the real gasket and SS allen heads for 4 years with no issues. A dab of anti-seize and it has been recommended somewhere here to Finger tighten then 1/4 turn with Allen wrench.

About once every 2 years I do the valve clearance checks and have had no issues with corrosion and/or missing bolts. They are surprisingly loose when removing but with the sealing capabilities of the real gasket there are no oil leaks.

This method has been working for me so I'm sticking with it. Don't over think it.
      1979 GS850G
      2004 SV650N track bike
      2005 TT-R125 pit bike
      LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

I have seen the effects of electrolysis and galvanic corrosion to the extreme where stainless mates to aluminum on outboard motors used in
        salt water. The heads of large stainless bolts just snapped off the bolts holding on a lower unit when I tried to remove them. The "trick" was a torch on the aluminum which I found out after I broke the heads off. Zinc anodes placed on the lower unit helped reduced the corrosion.
        Since were talking about bikes, I would as a minumum use lots of anti-seize on any stainless/aluminum mating surface.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
          I have seen the effects of electrolysis and galvanic corrosion to the extreme where stainless mates to aluminum on outboard motors used in
          salt water. The heads of large stainless bolts just snapped off the bolts holding on a lower unit when I tried to remove them. The "trick" was a torch on the aluminum which I found out after I broke the heads off. Zinc anodes placed on the lower unit helped reduced the corrosion.
          Since were talking about bikes, I would as a minumum use lots of anti-seize on any stainless/aluminum mating surface.
          I agree, never ride your bike in salt water.

Comment

Wow, ok guys. Thanks for ALL the advice. Cracks me up. This is one reason I love thegsresources.com. We're all family right?

I sent BassCliff an email to see what he does and what kind of experience he has had. He uses Permatex Thread sealer on his stainless bolts to fasten the head/valve/tappet cover and has had no problem with them seizing or coming loose. So that's his 2 cents.

I am going to give that a shot. It was either that or mix up thread sealer, purple loctite, blue loctite, antiseize and dip the entire bike in it.

I will be checking my valve clearances often anyway so it won't be long before the bolts come out again.

I will be using ample amounts of antiseize on every other SS bolt on the bike.

Please don't shoot me if I ever show up in this thread again asking how to get stainless bolts out of my head.

Comment

Yeah getting SS out of anything is a pita. Stainless is nice and hard, but it's also brittle. I've found that out the hard way on non-bike related projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Good Times View Post
                Please don't shoot me if I ever show up in this thread again asking how to get stainless bolts out of my head.
                Shooting you would be quite redundant, no?
                '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  I agree, never ride your bike in salt water.
                  Near salt water (the air and spray), on the beach, or on a wet freshly salted winter road!
                  Salt is devastating to metal (unless it's stainless, monel, or gold),
                  it has staying power, hard to get it all off once it's there.
                  Wouldn't hurt to put a zinc anode on a ground wire at or near the bottom of the engine, sacrifical zinc to protect the aluminum.
                  I believe the use of sacrifical zincs will help cut down on corrosion, and also believe that salted wet roads have increased the galvanic corrosion to these bikes over the years, no wonder so many header studs have broken or frozen, in direct line of salt spray, which probably doesn't get washed off immediately.
                  BoatUS Magazine, the largest boating magazine in the US, provides boating skills, DIY maintenance, safety and news from top experts.
                  sigpic
                  Steve

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                      Shooting you would be quite redundant, no?
                      Yeah really! Why waste one of OUR bullets when we can simply endlessly browbeat you until you shoot yourself, right Tony??

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                        What the..... is that a Gold Bike?

"Hey Honey.....I'm going to do something a little different with the Suzuki. It's to protect it from corrosion. Has to be done."

Comment

about as good as the gold DeLorean....

Comment

No corrosion on this '82-'83 Suzuki GS1100E.

sigpic
                            Steve

Comment

Working...
                            X