Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking Oil After Throwing the Chain

Hey guys,
    I did some searching through the forums and thought I'd post my issue anyway (i figured this group's expertise would instantly trump my detective skills.)
    I have a 79' GS550E. A couple of days ago I was pulling out of a parking lot and as I shifted into 1st the bike clunked and threw the chain. After coasting back into the lot and putting the chain back on...which seemed a bit loose (Truthfully, it's been a while since I've checked that it was within spec) I noticed that the gear shifter didn't feel quite right. Against my better judgement I limped the bike the few blocks home in first gear. I noticed right away that it was leaking a good steady stream of oil.
    I took the clutch/chain cover off and the pushrod that the clutch cable actuates is bent. Now, I've had this cover off to change out the clutch cable out several months back and it was straight then, So i'm guessing this and the chain jumping off are inter-connected, though I'm not sure which is the cause and which is the effect. More info: as it sits (even running) there is no leak.
    Any guesses as to what happened?
    I found some info here on Pushrod Oil Seals (Which is my forum-detective-guess as to where the oil is coming from, but does the sudden bending of the pushrod and the jumping chain point to something far far worse?
    Thanks so much for reading this novel of a question -
    -Wayne

Not an expert here by any means, but it's possible the chain bending the shifter shaft would distort the seal enough to cause it to leak. Once the oil level got below the seal, it stopped?
    But I'd also advise getting down there, cleaning the entire area well with de-greaser and inspecting everything carefully. The chain may have blasted a little hole out of the cases perhaps in the stator housing, or anywhere in that area. And again once the oil level got below the missing chunk, it's not leaking...

I've never done it but I've read on here that replacing the shifter shaft seal is pretty easy. You may also check that the countershaft seal isn't leaking either. I don't know how likely it is, but of the chain was that worn out, it may have been putting odd torque on the countershaft and caused that seal to leak as well. If that's the case hopefully it didn't ruin the bearings.

Comment

From memory the 550 has a cable operated clutch which has a mechanical inside the sprocket cover with a thin push rod that engages the clutch through the crank case. They bend. I think you can pull them out to straighten the rod and the seal on that is push fit.

Mind you, it is 30 years sine I worked on one.

Comment

Originally posted by OdeToBob View Post
        does the sudden bending of the pushrod and the jumping chain point to something far far worse?
        Yes, it points to a serious case of neglected chain maintenance.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You should be able to change the clutch rod seal and clutch rod easily enough, But you also said the shifter felt different so check that it is not bent. If it is you can replace that pretty easily also, but you'll have to go into the clutch cover on the opposite side and remove the clutch and clutch basket to get at it. I have had to replace one of these in the past. the one I did was bent and I had to cut it flush with the cases because as it was bent, it would not slide out. You can change the seal at the same time. Also as Cafe has said clean and inspect are very carefully and check for any possible cracks or holes in the cases. Lesson here keep up on chain maintance
          Last edited by hjfisk; 03-05-2012, 07:43 AM.
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

You are very lucky that the chain failed as it did. At speed, they can wad up and lock the rear wheel. They are also known to knock a hole in the crank cases. This was especially true on early CB750's. Chain maintenance is important for your safety.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Point well received.
              I'll plan on going through and checking off everything in the clymer scheduled maintenance section along with the probable push rod/seal job that's coming to me.
              Thanks to everyone so far for the quick and helpful answers.

Comment

Check all of the above and get some purple power and scrub the grease off the side of the crankcase and inspect for any damge as well. Hope thats not the ( pardon the pun ) case though.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

If you need any hard parts, I have a spare 550 parts engine.

Daniel

Comment

Pun pardoned.

And thanks Daniel, I'll let you know.

Comment

my 76 gt550 did the same thing, i straightened the pushrod n put the seal back in n it never leaked after, guess i got lucky but learned a very important lesson, i check chain every ride now hehe

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                        You should be able to change the clutch rod seal and clutch rod easily enough,
                        You may be able to straighten the clutch pushrod insitu, if you can't then cut the bent end off so the pushrod can be withdrawn from the clutch basket side of the motor. The pushrod cannot be withdrawn from the sprocket side of the motor.

If I was you I would replace all three seals while you are in there, clutch pushrod seal, sprocket shaft seal and gearshift shaft seal. There is an article on Cliffs website.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                        X