No announcement yet.

wide rear wheel on a gs850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember guys, we only ride our bikes on weekends when it's sunny and polish them in our driveway as the drool drips down the front of our shirts because we're not smart enough to use sawzalls, hacksaws and welders to "make it our own jewel" that can be ridden year 'round. Oh yes, "pompous arses" we must be, thereby proclaimed by one that sounds quite pompous his very own self.
    Tom, I wouldn't settle for a just a 33" Jeep tire, it'd have to be at least a 44, cause that's what my Jeep wears when it's rock crawlin'.

Yeah, a subscription may well be needed to just to observe the heat of the flames as y'all "pompous arses" fan them up.

Comment

Another one, no real intro, just "how can I butcher my bike" that I don't know anything about, first question. I don't mind the occasional cafe/or whatever build, but if your only interested in choppers or street fighters, theres plenty of those forums. I also notice occasional lurkers sign on as a guest when someone has a nice build going, and try and sway thier build into what they like.

Comment

Originally posted by bilboblades View Post
        The bikes I build are stripped back to the bare minimum and ridden all year round and last.
        How many bikes have you built? Any with a wider rear tire? Ever run into issues with the chain-line and clearance with the side of the tire?

If so, you know the solution, if not, the solution is an offset sprocket that moves the chain further out board from the bike and makes more clearance for a wide rear tire.

Convert that idea to the shaft drive. The u-joint at the engine end of the shaft is in a fixed position. Unless you plan to offset the entire engine, there's no way to increase the clearance for a wider rear tire. It's not rocket science.

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
          Remember guys, we only ride our bikes on weekends when it's sunny
          That's me! You have me pegged.

Daniel

BTW, it is nice to have one of these entertaining posts once in a while, eh?
          Last edited by Guest; 03-11-2012, 12:31 AM.

Comment

I thought going on a site with mainly amaricans,

I really didn't think it was possible to misspell this, but I suppose it's just those poser standards of mine. When will I learn to never question creativity?
            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
            __________________________________________________ ______________________
            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

You only get your bike out at weekends and polish it when you get it home and only get it out when the skies are blue.
              Wait, what's polish?
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Wait, what's polish?
                Something, or someone, from Poland.

I thought going on a site with mainly amaricans,
                I thought there would be atleast 2 brain cells bouncing around over there.
                But i was wrong..
                And God bless Amarica. I need to get my atlas out to find that place but I have a feeling it's somewhere near Canider. Or am I thinking of Ostrayliya?
                Last edited by hampshirehog; 03-11-2012, 01:24 PM.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I can't help stop laughing at this thread. Why do I have the feeling though it's someone on here just having fun at our expense?
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                    Something, or someone, from Poland.

And God bless Amarica. I need to get my atlas out to find that place but I have a feeling it's somewhere near Canider. Or am I thinking of Ostrayliya?
                    Perhaps near Yurope?

Comment

bilboblades,

You are taking guff because this question gets asked regularly on this site. And most folks here are more into stock chassis bikes. The question is probably best asked over at oldskoolsuzuki, or maybe customfighters.

With that said, there are significant problems to be solved to get a wider tire and wheel on a shaft drive bike. I'm a mechanical design engineer by day, and I've thought about this a LOT and I haven't come up with any whiz bang slick way to do it yet. I have ideas, but they won't be coming along any time soon. Good luck with your project. Post pics too. I've got lots of popcorn.

Comment

Madura wheel. Spoked so you can put a wider rim on. Good luck with finding clearance though...
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by 86turbodsl View Post
                          bilboblades,

You are taking guff because this question gets asked regularly on this site. And most folks here are more into stock chassis bikes. The question is probably best asked over at oldskoolsuzuki, or maybe customfighters.

With that said, there are significant problems to be solved to get a wider tire and wheel on a shaft drive bike. I'm a mechanical design engineer by day, and I've thought about this a LOT and I haven't come up with any whiz bang slick way to do it yet. I have ideas, but they won't be coming along any time soon. Good luck with your project. Post pics too. I've got lots of popcorn.
                          86Turbo,

It's not that the majority are hung up on stock chassis, it's just that members like bilbo pop up repeatedly, who buy the bike first, then have the vision of what they want to do with it, with no thought of how to get from A to B

And, putting a wider wheel on an 850 can be done, however, it's done by people with the advanced skills to do it and not ask someone else how it's done because they had the ideas when they bought the bike

So, Bilbo - your solution is to sell the 850 and get a chain drive bike. Much easier to do

And, getting some English lessons, since it appears that you graduated from an American school. Try spell check next time

Oh, and if you don't want to be flamed, don't attack other members. It just might be some old guy that racks up over 10,000 miles a year (but only on sunny days )
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                          X