X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1100ez oil cooler 16v

looking to add a cooler
    read alot

im going to get another filter cover, weld in a stop and grind a troth threw it to mimic the right cover, havent seen one on ebay

looking for coolers on ebay too
    see alot for smaller bikes

will they work on my 1100?

Link

or

2nd example

those 2 have different locations of the lines into the cooler

yes ideally i would like to get one for an 1150 that had the lines and the cover and the banjo bolts?(do i need them or if i back out mine will i see they are banjos?)

you dont need to weld anything. Use the plumbing provided by the manufacturer either side of your filter cover (thats what its there for) to plumb in the cooler. A system off an 1150 would be best or you can get a complete kit from earls here:

http://www.earls.co.uk/earls/preasse...llinekits.html (select suzuki and 1100efe under model or kat1000...both same just with different size cooler)

and plumb in like so :

easy peasy
    Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2012, 05:08 PM.

Comment

ill have to weld the cover if i dont have a stock 1150 cover to limit flow into filter area to have most go into the cooler

Comment

No personal experience with this, but several members here have reported that a restriction can be added to the oil port, thus duplicating the effect of installing the 1150 oil filter cover. This sounds easier than welding up an 1100 oil filter cover and then grinding the details to replicate an 1150 cover.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

welding and grinding is very simple
          would take a few minutes

but ill look into the restriction add on

but back to the important thing

the cooler size and lines and banjos

will any other bike ones work with ease?

Comment

The lines and cooler size are up to you. I don't recommend using old parts though. An oil cooler and some line will be pretty cheap. I think I spent around $80 on my last setup.

Comment

earls do a bung that slots into the gallery behind the cover that allows some oil by but diverts most to the cooler. you can also run without the bung on the regular cover ...you still get flow to the cooler obviously though it wont be as effective but will still work

Comment

Originally posted by saffa View Post
                earls do a bung that slots into the gallery behind the cover that allows some oil by but diverts most to the cooler. you can also run without the bung on the regular cover ...you still get flow to the cooler obviously though it wont be as effective but will still work
                Link to finding that part?

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100ez View Post
                  welding and grinding is very simple
                  would take a few minutes

but ill look into the restriction add on

but back to the important thing

the cooler size and lines and banjos

will any other bike ones work with ease?
                  I machined a brass plug to slide into the main oil passage to direct oil flow to the cooler. I drilled a hole through it to mimic the small gap in the GS1150 cover.

GS500 banjos are the right size. Most likely all Suzuki banjos are the same size, 14mm I believe.

I used the lower steel tubes off a GS500 cooler, cut them off, ran rubber lines to my cooler. No fouling of exhaust pipes. Plenty of grip when clamped to the steel tubes. Leave the rubber lines a bit long so they slide onto the steel tubes a few inches. This provides more than enough grab on the tubes with a clamp. I used proper barb fittings in the cooler I bought from JC Whitney (no longer available) or you could just use the GS500 cooler and attach the lines as you did on the lower tubes. I decided not to use the GS500 cooler itself, but it probably would drop the oil temp quite a bit. The CB900f coolers weren't particularly big and they seemed to do the job for Honda..

Use fuel injection hose clamps. They look a lot tidier.

My temps went from 280F-300F to 210F.

Comment

here ....i think earls are busy restructuring their site so may not work in a few hours....go here and scroll down

fixed the link for cooler and hoses on previous post...seemed to stop functioning for some reason
                    Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2012, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Either of those coolers will work fine mate, just make sure you thoroughly flush any old goop out of the cooler before you use it.

I've been away from this site for a long time (2009 from memory) but I washed the dust off my GS1000E and did a little work on it lately, and I'm glad to be back.

I'm still making my original cooler adapters and complete cooler kits for GS Suzuki's and I've made quite a few for members here recently, if anyone would like one shoot me a PM. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Comment

im assuming theres a bit that goes underneath the cover on that to divert all oil to the cooler before retuning it to the gallery for distribution to the engine?

Comment

Working...
                        X