Plug Foul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug Foul

I don't know much about mechanics, a little but not a lot. So I apologize in advance for the elementary questions. I am here to learn.

I am looking to buy a 81 gs650g. When I took it for a test run(about 5 minutes), I realized it didn't have the power a 650 should. I parked it and let it idle for a few and the left side started smoking out the exhaust. When I took a closer look i realized there was fresh oil around the head gasket. The amount of work that needs to go into this determines how much i will pay. So...

Is the leaking gasket my only problem?
    Is there other problems I should look out for?
    It look like a fairly easy fix, am I wrong?

Thanks

Originally posted by tommycreeper View Post
    I don't know much about mechanics, a little but not a lot. So I apologize in advance for the elementary questions. I am here to learn.

I am looking to buy a 81 gs650g. When I took it for a test run(about 5 minutes), I realized it didn't have the power a 650 should. I parked it and let it idle for a few and the left side started smoking out the exhaust. When I took a closer look i realized there was fresh oil around the head gasket. The amount of work that needs to go into this determines how much i will pay. So...

Is the leaking gasket my only problem?
    Is there other problems I should look out for?
    It look like a fairly easy fix, am I wrong?

Thanks
    Let it idle for 10 minutes with owner present, shake you head, and ask him what he thinks is wrong. If you don't find his answer to your liking, offer him $200.
    Easy fix??? maybe-but I 've looked at lots of neglected 650's and have yet to see one with blown headgasket, no matter how sad they looked. So be afraid!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If I didn't have a lot of mechanical skill, I would be looking for a bike that didn't require much mechanical skills. This one may be an easy fix, or maybe not. I'd keep looking until I found one that I was sure about. If you persevere it won't cost much more to get a solid one.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Personally, I would buy a better running GS, they are all over the place.
        It sounds like this bike needs some maintenance, you can do better!

----
        Smoking could be something simple like old unburnt gunk in the cylinders, or fuel stabilizer burning off, but it could also be bad valves!(not good). Combine that with the "lack" of power you described....you might have a compression problem. But the lack of power could simply be "lack" of maintenance.

It's hard to say without running deeper tests.

-Other problems?-
        The 650's were notorious for having bad Charging systems from the factory.
        (maybe $150-200 to get the parts from ebay)

The electrical systems REALLY need to be gone threw on all older bikes.
        Just clean the connections and replace anything that's corroded.
        (easy stuff)

These bikes are pretty bullet proof.
        Just do the regular valve maintenance and all the normal stuff, and it'll be fine.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2012, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X