Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cam chain tensioner parts - are these serviceable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam chain tensioner parts - are these serviceable?

I'm rebuilding my cam chain tensioner and it appears to be pretty beat up but can I save these 3 parts or should I look into replacement? I've got a cracked plastic knob, worn push rod shaft & a divot in the tensioner rod angled area. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GLZ
    1988 Suzuki VS750GLP SOLD 10/2009

This here might help out a bit....

Comment

Tensioner assemblies show up all the time on ebay less than $10- yours is serviceable but I'd opt for a replacement. Have you inspected your cam timing to be safe?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The cracked knob should be replaced. I don't know why they used plastic on some of these. I don't know for sure if it can be replaced with the metal knob from another tensioner (such as one from an 850) but I'd suspect it can.

The face of the tensioner rod can be ground or sanded to get rid of the divot, but these are still available from Suzuki for many models -- not sure about yours.

The wear on the other part is inconsequential.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I do not know why they used the sorry ass plastic for the knobs. I had 4 plastic knobbed cam chain tensioners for my '82 GS1100EZ. Each one with a plastic knob is cracked, and I destroyed one knob just trying to break loose the nut that held it on. Seems the bond from whatever lock-tite that was used to secure the nut was stronger than the knob itself.
          So, I see the GS1000 has a solid steel knob, and I'm going to replace my
          plastic knob cam chain tensioner with a steel knob one after my upcoming move. These solid knob tensioners are on most of the other GS models, just got to get one with two holes instead of the three. There's a zillion on E-bay starting at about $10. I will rebuild it with new seals.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

These cam chain tensioners are an amazingly common part among Suzuki GS's, just make sure you get the 3-bolt one (not 2). I have an '82 850G which originally came with the plastic knob also - that seems to be the timeframe for the breakable ones. The plastic knob cannot be bought from OEM parts fiches, nor would you'd want one. The sturdy ones are made of rustable STEEL!

To fix the problem, get a complete tensioner off of ebay, they are usually pretty inexpensive ($20 or less with shipping). Use the best parts from your original and the ebay replacement. Spend $7 or so on new gaskets/seals, use Brwingers rebuild guide and you're like new.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              I don't know why they used plastic on some of these.
              Because they were being CHEAP!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
              X