How hard should the clutch lever be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hard should the clutch lever be?

As I have never ridden another GS1100G I don't know how much pressure should be needed to pull in the clutch lever. Pretty difficult to explain over the net I guess! My GS1100G is an '82, has a brand new Suzuki clutch cable and is adjusted perfectly but feels harder to use than the clutch on my '98 Harley.

Now it could be because the Harley has a wider, comfy lever. I have the stock clutch in both bikes. so no easy clutch mods have been done to either. For regular riding the clutch is fine but when I'm in stop/go traffic my wrist gets quite sore. I have heard that the clutch should be easier. I am most likely a big girly wimp but just thought I'd ask the question - how hard should it be?

(And yes I know there are lots of extremely witty answers to a question like this...)

Just went out to the garage to test this on my 1100G, with a somewhat worn cable... Pinky only, it's hard to pull, I have to get my finger just right.

Next finger over again one finger only, easy to pull, from any position. Any of the the other fingers easy as pie, and more than any one finger it's effortless.

And of course it's all easier when the engine is running. The clutch never ever slips on this bike.

I usually use two when riding, but sometimes I use only one, my flip you off finger.

Your clutch has something wrong with it.
    Last edited by tkent02; 03-21-2012, 03:54 PM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Check your cable routing first. Incorrect routing could make it bind. Otherwise it sounds like the clutch cover should come off.

Comment

Hmmm... I just had the clutch cover off last week too! I paid a lot of attention to cable routing when I installed the new cable. Although even if the pictures in the manual appear clear they aren't as clear as they could be. I'll have another look.

Thanks!

Comment

How is the angle between the cable and the lever on top of he clutch cover?
          It should be 90 degrees. If that's way off it will be hard to pull.

Comment

Just another factor I figure someone should mention:

I've ridden borrowed bikes with the clutch lever in the wrong place. That is, it put my wrist at a sharp angle. That made it hard to pull, and really killed my wrist. I adjust my clutch and brake levers so that my wrist is nearly straight.

Beyond that, some PO may have put heavy duty springs in to try to limit clutch slipping. My 850 was like that, until I actually fixed the clutch.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Some good points here - thanks guys. Yes the angle at the clutch is 90 degrees. And Dogma you make a good point about lever angle. I adjusted the angle on a Kawasaki I had once and it made a big difference to how my wrist felt.

As far as how much pressure is needed, I can squeeze the clutch with two fingers but not one. I have reasonably strong hands! It's ok for regular riding but when I was testing around my house, ie not going very far because the bike wasn't registered (shsssh) and changing gears frequently my hand got very sore. Oh well, I'll get it.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post

As far as how much pressure is needed, I can squeeze the clutch with two fingers but not one.
                Check for oversized clutch springs. A lot of people put them in, but if the clutch is in good shape, they are not needed.
                Last edited by tkent02; 03-14-2012, 11:23 AM.

Comment

On my 750 you need all four fingers to pull my clutch in. I installed 1100 springs in mine cuz when I started riding two up on my 750 the clutch would slip. Now I have a gorilla grip in my left hand. Puts some HD clutches to shame lol.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Many aftermarket springs are too stiff, you only need to install Half of the springs provided in the pack!
                    (unless you're going with factory Suzuki's)
                    But usually the stiffy springs have a shorter life...from what I've read on here.

I made the mistake of installing the entire pack of EBC springs on my 650.
                    I barely made it home, and had to shift with my foot alone.
                    I forgot how Often that bike likes to shift!
                    Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2012, 04:47 PM.

Comment

I'd say something might be going on. My 82 GS and my 78 GS is no harder to pull than my 04 Harley.
                      Actually they all feel about the same.
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                      .................________-|___\____
                      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Thanks everyone. It sure would be nice it if was easier! I'll look into all of your suggestions.

Comment

Oh I don't know Jimmy, a mate of mine reconed the amount of force required to pull in the lever on my old 1000 engine was as good as an immobiliser-as he put it"only a blacksmith could pull that thing in"and his hands are twice the size of mine!,just a thought?.Johnny

Comment

i put all 6 barnett racing springs in mine, it really increased the effort required to pull the handle. you could try using every other spring in the pack and leaving every other one out. from what i understand its not going to hurt anything. i like the increased pressure. even with new steels and fibers my clutch would slip in the higher revs with me and my wife on my 1100. the stiffer springs also prevent people from asking to ride my bike.

Comment

Working...
                            X