Gas in the airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas in the airbox

Last fall I redid the carbs (orings, dipped 24 hours, etc) and only got to drive it once before putting it up for the winter. When I pulled it out this weekend, It was not running well, and it is leaking gas into the airbox (enough to drip onto the case occasionally). I have done some searching of this board and, based on some of what I read, I am going to re-check the float height because I think this might be it. Starting this weekend, I'm going to start the shim check process and while I wait for the replacement shims to come in, I'm going to pull the carbs to check the floats.

That was a long setup to get to this question: Other than the floats, does anyone else have suggestions of what I should check? Also, can anyone tell me how to check the needle valve to ensure that it is working properly (other than to ensure that it is not frozen)?

Any tips from those more familiar with these bikes would be appreciated.

Thanks all,
    Chris

It is either the float level is too high or the needle and seat are leaking.
    All you have to do for the needle and seat is remove the float, pull out the needle valve, and douse both needle and seat liberally with carb cleaner.
    Also, once they are together, bench test them prior to installation. Use your temp fuel tank or your real fuel tank. If they leak, start over.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I just want to make sure that I understand your proposed bench test.

Do you just mean that I should hook up the carbs next to the tank (on the bench, of course) and if gas trickles into the throat there is a problem?

Thanks,
      Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbelstein View Post
        Thanks for the response. I just want to make sure that I understand your proposed bench test.

Do you just mean that I should hook up the carbs next to the tank (on the bench, of course) and if gas trickles into the throat there is a problem?

Thanks,
        Chris
        Pretty much. Ideally you want the fuel tank to be above the carbs so the fuel exerts more pressure on the needle and seat. I like to leave them connected for at least 15 minutes, btw.

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
          X