Burning Oil On Start-up - Valve Stem Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burning Oil On Start-up - Valve Stem Seals

I believe my valve stems on my 81 GS1000GL have degraded. When I bought the bike a couple of years ago it would burn oil sometimes on startup after sitting over night. As expected, the issue has become more frequent.

The bike has 92k on it and has mild problems with most things on it. Specifically, the exhaust should be replaced, the seat needs recovering, the carbs should be rebuilt, the cam chain and or tensioner needs attending to, the valves might need adjusting....and on and on.

The good is that everything essentially works as I have fixed the basics and I would like to limp it through this season with less oil burning on start up.

I understand the best case is to replace the seals, but the energy and cost of parts might be more than what I want to put into the bike now...if I fixed the seals I might as well do the engine....and on and on.

Does anyone have any suggestions on addressing the issue with minimal cost/energy? If I ran a heavier oil would that have a harder time leaking past the seals? Is there an additive I can run in it to swell the seals then change out to ensure no slippage on the clutch?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone on the forum...it has definitely been helpful in fixing the essentials!

Michael, I know what you want to hear, but unfortunately it is not what I have to share.
    I do not know of any additive that will stop it smoking on startup and thicker oil won't really help either, the valve stem seals will have to be done, sooner or later.
    You are quite right in your analysis that one thing will lead to another, hey Jennifer's rebuild started as a stator cover replacement, now look where I am.
    Point is, while you have the head off to do the sals, you might as well lap the valves back in properly, and seeing as the motor has now been disturbed, you best pull the jugs and pop in a new base gasket, so while the jugs are off, rings.....see where this goes.

The good news is, you don't have to do it now, riding it as is for the summer will do no harm at all other than cost you an extra jug of oil over the next six months, pull it apart next winter.
    That is what I would do.

Comment

What about a low mileage engine replacement?

1978 GS1000C
      1979 GS1000E
      1980 GS1000E
      2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        What about a low mileage engine replacement?
        Like one with 91k?

If it's only burning on start up don't worry about it. The engine sounds fine with just the seals getting a tad hardened. If you're up for it there's a thread on here where the guy changed the seals without lifting the head - total cost would only be a few $s for seals and maybe a cam cover gasket.

Take a look at:
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks HH, forgot about that one.

Comment

There was a thread a week or so ago, one member here, john82q, successfully replaced the valve stem seals without pulling the head, using the rope trick and a home made valve spring tool. He actually made it look fairly easy.

Do a search...

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Not hard at all.

Not hard at all.

If you dont know what your doing, (I.E have taken a head apart before) get someone to help, otherwise go for it.

I would do it the next time you need to do the shims.

Realise it dosnt negate the need for a rebuild in the long run, just puts it back some.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll see how it is in the next couple of weeks. It did start yesterday without a puff of smoke....I seemed to remember last fall it was fairly constant, but that was then.

I think for now I will just ride it and deal with it next winter or pass it along to someone else. Unfortunately on Vancouver Island it can be a little hard to find parts for these machines. Used engine & other parts would be nice.

The thread showing doing the job without pulling the head might come in handy if it gets significantly worse before the season is out.

Happy riding!

Comment

Working...
                X