Loss of HP after valve adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loss of HP after valve adjustment

Installed an 850g tank on my 850L and made all the necessary cosmetic adjustments. Decided to do a valuve adjustment because many of the valves were too tight. Reshimmed them and brought everything back into specs, so I thought. Took the bike out for a ride and it topped out at 60 mph. Before the valve adjustment it ran faster than that. I'm thinking I messed it up somehow. Wondering if this is probably the cause of my loss of mph. Could it be the new tank? Seems like it is a mistake in the value adjustment to me.

Scudder

Did you use the petcock off the original tank, or the "new" tank? How's plug color?

I'm wondering if the "new" tank has a leaky petcock.

Comment

New Petcock. No leaks.

Scudder

Comment

plug color is good.

Scudder

Comment

"Seems like it is a mistake in the value adjustment to me"

sounds like you already figured it out.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Even with my valves wildly out of spec, I was able to exceed 60mph, and that's on a GS550. Still, I'd double check the valve adjustments. If you've got the 8 valve setup w/ shims, make sure to rotate the cams a few rotations before checking clearances if you swap shims around.

Comment

Originally posted by Scudder View Post
              Installed an 850g tank on my 850L and made all the necessary cosmetic adjustments. Decided to do a valuve adjustment because many of the valves were too tight. Reshimmed them and brought everything back into specs, so I thought. Took the bike out for a ride and it topped out at 60 mph. Before the valve adjustment it ran faster than that. I'm thinking I messed it up somehow. Wondering if this is probably the cause of my loss of mph. Could it be the new tank? Seems like it is a mistake in the value adjustment to me.

Scudder
              Something is drastically wrong with your bike. Most likely it's not running on 4 cylinders. I seriously doubt the valve adjustment has anything to do with it unless you messed up big time.

Try to figure out if the bike is running on all cylinders. An 850 will easily do over 100 mph, even if running poorly.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I agree with Ed

Misadjusting your valves wouldn't limit the power that much unless your valves were being held open all the time

Put the wrong wires on the wrong plugs, maybe/
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Man, I was hopin' it was the plug caps placed on the wrong plug, but no. They are 1,2,3,4. All cylinders are firing. I adjusted the throttle cable where it hooks onto the carbs, and took the bike out for a quick sprint. Got up to 70 before I hand to shut it down. Still not close to what I'd expect. I suspect I goofed the valves, but I had never had it up to 70 before this. I got the bike in the Fall for next to nothing, in sad shape. I know it's not running right, because I have a gs750 and it tears up the road. Any other suggestions before I recheck the valves. I've rebuilt the carbs, and cleaned the crap out of them, but still haven't dipped them. I know... I need to do that. I still have a choke problem. It doesn't rev over 2000 rpms with the choke open all the way. Do you think the two problems are related? Most likely?

Scudder

Comment

Ok, a few more details. You already know what we all think about rebuilding carbs properly. Have you synched the carbs since you took them apart and did you valves? you need to that's for sure.
                    Rob
                    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

The valve adjustment is tedious but straightforward.
                      I would look to the carbs as being an issue especially if you cleaned them concurrent with the valve adjustment.

Comment

I cleaned (not dipped) my carbs a few times but the last time I was in there was a couple weeks ago. I finished valves on Sunday. Do I need to synch the carbs after a valve adjustment?

Looks like I'm going into the carbs once again. Honestly, I'm just a little paranoid to dip the carbs. Never done it before, and the thought of seperating them is a bit daunting to me. I guess that is the only way to eliminate the carbs as the problem, so daunting or not, it must be done.

Scudder

Comment

Time to go up to post #7 and click on Ed's Top 10 Newbie mistakes

You've got 1A and 1B so far

The shortest course is always the longest, especially with a trashed bike
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yup. In my assessment, dipping the carbs is all that is left. I've done everything else. Thanks again.

Scudder

Comment

Of course you may want to do a check on the valves.
                              Is it possible you mis read the instructions?

I mean the gap being correct is of little inportance if you do not have the cams lobes int he correct position. Even if its off a little it is off a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X