GS550 Driveshaft Seal Replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 Driveshaft Seal Replacement?

The seal behind the front sprocket on my GS550 is leaking, and I need to replace it as well as the metal "keeper" that goes in front of it. What are the basic steps to replacing the seal? Do I have to split the cases?

Also, the shaft that the sprocket bolts to... Is that the driveshaft or countershaft? I've seen it referred to both ways.

From my understanding you don't have to split cases to replace that seal. I'd search for a thread covering it, or refer to your manual to be sure, but I think it's fairly straight forward in that you sink a screw part way in to remove the old seal, grease up the new one well, and press it in. I've only read about it, haven't done it, so do some more reading obviously.

As to the countershaft...I've always referred to it as a countershaft (or abbreviated CS) Driveshafts are on "G" models.

Comment

I have done this repair and the relevant info is on Cliff's website of how I went about it. There is other info there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        From my understanding you don't have to split cases to replace that seal. I'd search for a thread covering it, or refer to your manual to be sure, but I think it's fairly straight forward in that you sink a screw part way in to remove the old seal, grease up the new one well, and press it in. I've only read about it, haven't done it, so do some more reading obviously.

As to the countershaft...I've always referred to it as a countershaft (or abbreviated CS) Driveshafts are on "G" models.
        Thanks, but according to the parts fiches on alpha-sports.com, it's the drive shaft. Part number 17 on the TRANSMISSION page is what the sprocket bolts to, and is labelled as "DRIVESHAFT SET." The countershaft is listed as #1 on that same page, and appears to be inside the transmission.

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
        I have done this repair and the relevant info is on Cliff's website of how I went about it. There is other info there as well.
        Found it. It's in the Engine Odds and Ends portion. For anyone that comes across this, here's the link: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ment_GS550.htm

Thanks Don.

Comment

Working...
        X