how do you remove clutch cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you remove clutch cover

i have a 82 gs1100gk. i need to replace the cover gasket. i took all the 8 mm bolts out but the cover will not pop off. what do i have to do form here i relize the clutch rod is holding me up just not sure how to remove.

The PO (unless your the only owner) may have used some sort of form a gasket or sealer, and it may just need a nudge, rubber mallet, don't pry with a screwdriver, you may crack or damage the cover, after you disconnected the clutch cable ( Im assuming you did) sometimes twisting with your fingers the shaft that runs down through the case helps break it lose, pull on it and tap with mallet, just work with it, theres nothing there to prevent it from coming off.

Comment

The clutch rod you speak of.. .. If this is the shaft that connects to the clutch cable and goes down into three case, it does not come out. it stays in the cover when you open the case.
      Just had my case open to paint and clean the glass. several good traps with a rubber mallet or a protected hammer should do.

Comment

Like the "other Old Skool" said, there isn't anything else holding it on. The clutch shaft doesn't have to come out. There is just a pinion gear at the end of it that engages the clutch rack shaft. Turning the clutch shaft in the opposite direction from which the clutch cable normally turns it when the clutch lever is pulled may give it enough internal leverage to help you pop the cover off. Otherwise, I would just work a very thin gasket scraper/putty knife around the edge to break the seal and get it to release the cover.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSkool View Post
          Like the "other Old Skool" said, there isn't anything else holding it on. The clutch shaft doesn't have to come out. There is just a pinion gear at the end of it that engages the clutch rack shaft. Turning the clutch shaft in the opposite direction from which the clutch cable normally turns it when the clutch lever is pulled may give it enough internal leverage to help you pop the cover off. Otherwise, I would just work a very thin gasket scraper/putty knife around the edge to break the seal and get it to release the cover.
          I'm surprised no-one has taken the name "new skool" yet
          Hey post #500, what a post hog

Comment

got it thanks guys i got it popped off. i was giving me a little bit of resistance when i was trying to get it off diddnt want to break anything, im replaceing all the gasjkets i can get to wihought having to dismantle engine. suprisingly everything inside thati can see by remoing covers looks really clean no gunky build up.

Comment

Working...
            X