Running without airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running without airbox

There's a GS700ES for sale around here somewhere. The price is right. The oner says it's in perfect condition except that the airbox is missing and there's no filters on it. He bought it that way recently and he rode it about like that a few miles. He says five miles.

What can go wrong?

Other than running very lean (if at all) and possibly melting the engine into a boat anchor, ... not much.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

sucking dirt into the carbs as well.

Comment

If he really rode it only five miles, no problems.
        It wouldn't get hot enough to burn any valves, unless he opened the throttle wide and kept it there until it quit running. Even then it's not likely, as it probably ran so poorly without the air box that he couldn't even get going on it. Usually they run terrible without the box.
        It also wouldn't suck enough dirt in five miles to hurt anything, unless dirt riding in very dusty dirt.
        Get the air box, or get pods and get it jetted right, and ride the heck out of it.
        Check the compression if you are worried about it.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

nothing dude. a month of riding without filter no prob, 10 years without a filter, problems. some people put just mounted steal wool on there carbs and they run fine (when jetted and tuned right). just keeps the gravel out. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
            There's a GS700ES for sale around here somewhere. The price is right. The oner says it's in perfect condition except that the airbox is missing and there's no filters on it. He bought it that way recently and he rode it about like that a few miles. He says five miles.

What can go wrong?
            Don't believe anything from a PO and then nothing will surprise you. Perfect cosmetic condition means nothing if the bike has been mechanically abused- not having filters on would need a heck of an explanation to soothe me.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
            X