1982 GS 650 GL Clutch locking up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS 650 GL Clutch locking up?

So I just bought a 1982 GS650GL. Everything seemed to be in good shape but the guy I bought it from thought the clutch felt a little weak to him. He went ahead and replaced the clutch for me and now it is really hard to pull the clutch lever. Also, I was riding it and going about 55mph in 5th gear when it just started to die on me. It would decelerate so much that I had to shift down into first and pull off the road. Once stopped, I couldn't even push the bike with the clutch lever pulled in or with it in neutral. It was almost like something was locking up somewhere. I tried shifting into second with it stopped but then had a hard time getting back into first or neutral. I then tried tightening the clutch cable and I was able to start the bike in first and shift thru all the gears and made it home. Once at home, I placed it on the center stand, started the bike and tried shifting thru all the gears. As soon as I shifted into first, the rear wheel would move even with the clutch lever depressed. Once in second, it would come to a stop and stay that way thru the rest of the gears. Just wondering if maybe this might be an issue with the new clutch? Or is it transmission related? I know it is an aftermarket clutch. Any help would be appreciated.

First, look at the clutch to see what this guy did to it, then do all of the other neglected maintenance the bike obviously needs. You have a lot of work to do.
    Cliff's welcome will have a lot of good information for you.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Previous owners tend to be less than truthful- after all, they are giving up on the bike and dumping it on you, so take the PO's diagnosis with skepticism. Dying out on road has nothing to do with any clutch/cable problem- if you can shift thru the gears (with motor running), that's a good sign. On centerstand in first with bike running, the rear tire will spin with clutch depressed due to friction drag. Follow the mentioned link to Basscliff's site for info overload. Do you know exactly what parts of clutch he replaced? The clutch problem might be as simple as a cable adjustment, but as tkent02 said, you have some work to do. What's the mileage and where are you?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The mileage is 35k. He replaced the clutch plates and the springs. I've adjusted the cable to the point that it is so tight, I almost can't tighten anymore and it takes a lot of strength to squeeze all he way to the handlebar. If I adjust so the lever has any free play, the problem gets worse. Thanks for the link to the site. Any idea why it would lock up on me? The bike doesn't actually die like it's losing power, it's more like it just starts to slow down no matter what gear I am in.

Comment

Sounds like your brake master cylinders might be plugged with gunk. Have you gone through and properly cleaned them and your calipers? Make sure you also replace the brake lines.

Besides that, I'd start looking at doing all the items listed in Basscliff's site under his Read Me section. You've got a bike that's obviously been neglected so you have work to do. Good luck and post up some pictures.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by tom203
            The brakes might be sticking, but this isn't likely.
            If the brakes stuck, they would be hot as Hell.
            Were the brakes hot as Hell?
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Brakes weren't that hot. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to tear into it until this weekend. I did call the seller and he said he still had the old springs. Would it be ok to put those back in? He said they are still in good condition. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Comment

Working...
              X