Seized engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seized engine?

I drove my 77 gs750B last fall. On the highway the bike gave out, was acting like it was about to sputter and die, then made a high pitched sound like "fzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" and completely died. The kickstart doesen't want to move when in nuetral, but when I pop off the point cover I can move the shaft with a wrench up to a certain point. Any ideas what could be happening? Can I provide any other details?

What happens when you pull the clutch in, and try to rotate the crank? Might be something seized in the transmission.

Comment

Moves freely in nuetral with clutch pulled in, but won't crank. Kickstart seems to move a little to easy, like there's not a lot of resistance. Makes a "thunk" sounds when I try to turn her over

Comment

broken cam chain?

Comment

Originally posted by miles28 View Post
          Moves freely in nuetral with clutch pulled in, but won't crank. Kickstart seems to move a little to easy, like there's not a lot of resistance. Makes a "thunk" sounds when I try to turn her over

Kick starter will always move w/ very little resistance with clutch in.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
            broken cam chain?
            That was my first thought
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Where are you at?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                Where are you at?
                I'm in Denver, CO

Comment

Cam chain adjuster stopped working and your chain jumped

Pull the valve cover, see if you have a chain, check the cam timing
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Is this the same bike that you ran out of oil?
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

apparently it still had oil in it.

Comment

OK, why isn't it running?
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

don't be a jerk Tom, that's why I'm on here to find out.. .

Comment

Drain your oil and and open up your oil filter and see if you find any metal pieces in it. Take the valve cover off as mentioned and see what the cam chain is like.
                            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I'd start with the valve cover

Comment

Working...
                              X