Sorry, another clutch rattle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, another clutch rattle question

Hey all! Its been a few years since I've been on GSR (so long my account was deactivated), which was a huge help in binging my '79 GS1000 back to life...Thanks for a great resource!! I'm ashamed to admit that I've only ridden the bike about 1500 miles since I got it back together, but this summer is going to be different! There's only one fix I want to make before riding season this year---I am fixing the notorious and annoying clutch rattle. I pulled the clutch basket last night, and sure enough the springs are loose. Does anyone have an idea where I could get new springs? I've looked at the bikecliff stretching option, and the spacing with washers option...i would just prefer to replace springs if I can find a source. I called APE today to see if they would sell just springs, but they only sell the whole 1100/1150 rebuild kit which is a bit pricey for me (and I'm not sure if the 1100 rebuild kit would even work for a 1000 anyways). Thanks for the help!

Hi,

Any online OEM vendor will sell you the stock springs. That should be all you need. Doesn't EBC sell springs too?

What vendors? Z1, Partshark, G & S Suzuki, Boulevard Suzuki, etc. A farily long list of our favs is included in the "mega-welcome".

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

You're talking about the springs on the back side of the hub right? I didn't realize you could buy those.
      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
      1983 GS 1100 G
      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Yes, I am talking about the springs on the back side of the hub. So far I have not found a place that you can buy them, with the exception of the springs included in the APE clutch hub rebuild kit (which includes a reinforced backing plate, springs. and rivets for $190).

Basscliff, are you referring to the springs on the back of the hub, or the springs that force the clutch plates together? I am interested in replacing the springs on the back of the hub...sorry if that wasn't clear in the first post.

Comment

look on Basscliff's site, there should be article on using washers and taking basket apart and rewelding to tighten springs. terrylee

Comment

Hi,

Oh, the back side of the clutch hub. Sorry.

Several members have had their clutch hubs welded/reinforced to take care of that rattle. Like this: http://www.theflyingbanana.com/clutchhub.htm

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks BassCliff. I remembered seeing the rebuild procedure at http://www.theflyingbanana.com/clutchhub.htm a few years ago...I figured finding replacement spings wasn't likely, but thought a quick post was worth a shot. I ended up just shimming the worn springs and dropped the hub off to be welded this afternoon. Hopefully I'll get a chance to test it out in the next week!

Comment

Working...
              X