83 550E Clutch Cable Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 550E Clutch Cable Replacement

Any gotchas that I should be aware of when replacing the clutch cable? It broke on me when I went to switch gears on Friday on my way home from work. Luckily I was only a quarter mile from the house. It parted at the handlebar end, with the crimped end being completely separated from the cable.

Thanks,
    Bob

Be sure and observe the exact routing of the old cable, route the new one the same way. Purchase some cable lube and lube it before installation. Maintain it every year by doing the same thing, disconnect at lever, lube, replace.
    Most cables break the same way, right at the barrel at the lever. One strand pops, then another, then another, etc. If you maintain it every year you can inspect it each time to see if any strands are separated.
    I personally have spares of all my cables for just such momentous occasions.

Comment

Download the manual and follow the adjustment procedure.

The tab that hold the engine side of the cable is a bit finicky.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
        Be sure and observe the exact routing of the old cable, route the new one the same way. Purchase some cable lube and lube it before installation. Maintain it every year by doing the same thing, disconnect at lever, lube, replace.
        Most cables break the same way, right at the barrel at the lever. One strand pops, then another, then another, etc. If you maintain it every year you can inspect it each time to see if any strands are separated.
        I personally have spares of all my cables for just such momentous occasions.
        Listen to this man. ^^ The last thing you want to do is route the cable where it will pinch or bind, especially mid-turn. Though I suppose it wouldn't end as badly as if your throttle cables were improperly routed. *eek*

Comment

Working...
        X