loose rear sprocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loose rear sprocket

just like it says.... out for a ride and developed a vibration.... got home checked chain .... its tight enough and i noticed that the rear sprocket seemed loose..... all bolts are tight .... the sprocket just seems to move side to side ( or wiggle i guess you could say) ..... is this normal... i would nt think so .... but .... im at a loss

Originally posted by sk843143 View Post
    just like it says.... out for a ride and developed a vibration.... got home checked chain .... its tight enough and i noticed that the rear sprocket seemed loose..... all bolts are tight .... the sprocket just seems to move side to side ( or wiggle i guess you could say) ..... is this normal... i would nt think so .... but .... im at a loss
    Is just the sprocket moving or is the whole carrier moving? The sprocket carrier is just sitting in the hub, with Cush drive rubbers, and is pressed all together by the torque of the axle nut pressing everything together. Have you checked your axle boot torque? There is also three sets of bearings inside the wheel, the outer wheel bearings and an inner hub bearing. If the sprocket bolts/nuts are tight (and most have lock tab retainers on them as well) then I'd look at other causes on the wheel itself.

Comment

well this is a chain drive.... so im not shure what you mean by drive boot..... unless im not understainding you corectly

Comment

The sprocket carrier has it's own bearing as well, so make sure you check that and make sure everything is tight in the back end, axle nut with cotter pin, all sprocket nuts, etc.

Comment

Working...
        X