Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Leak

Heys guys I searched a while on here for this but I didn't find an answer yet so here it is. I have oil percolating out of a hole machined on the underside of the engine. I've always used approx 4qts w/filter in this old bird (82 GS1100L) and never had this happen before, any ideas why its comming out of this hole now?

Can you see the oil trail coming from the hole?

That's the Mystery Hole. It's a drain to let oil or water or whatever out of the starter cavity. You probably have a leaky oil seal where the starter goes into the case allowing the oil into this cavity, could also be from a leaky cam chain tensioner or oil pressure sender.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If I had gas mix with oil last winter and overflow would that mixturer accumulate there? I have since changed the oil in the crank case. How much of the motor has to come apart with the senerios you mentioned?
      Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2012, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Oh Crap!

If I'm looking at the exploded view of the crank case right, the case splits right through this "chamber". If that is where the gasket is leaking then the entire case must be split and that gasket replaced. Anyone concur with that assessment?

Comment

Not at all. It will be easiest if you remove the carbs first. tkent02 thinks it could be the starter seal: Starter seal Part #13.
          Or the cam chain tensioner How to rebuild the cam chain tensioner
          Or the oil pressure sender Oil pressure sending unit Parts #41 and 42.

Comment

Working...
          X